• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP....Stupid RAM light

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

I'm building:

Thermaltake twelve-hundred case
1x BDRW
8GB Avexir DDR3 (4gbx2)
Intel 510 SSD
WD Caviar 2TB
Win7 Home Premium
2x MSI Frozr-cooled 580GTX in SLI
Intel 2600k
Asus P8Z68 Pro Mobo

Right now I cant' even reach BIOS. No matter what slot I put RAM in, no matter how many RAM slots are used, no POST. The DRAM light stays on, but when I try "MemOK" to correct the timings, it is unable to do so. I never get a display of any kind. No overclock yet, nothing but stock everything.

I just breadboxed it and even the VGA isn't displaying anything with no video and no drives, and only one ramstick. Is the RAM junk? Or is there a different issue here?

You haven't told us anything about your PSU. Make, model, wattage? Is it new or used? Have you tried another unit?

Avexir? Never heard of that brand. Do you have another DDR3 desktop system you could rob some ram off to test? I would put the HD back in the minimal system configuration. Not sure it will power up without it.

Sorry, I'd been at this thing for a few hours and was very tired when I posted.

The PSU is a 1200w Antec High Current Pro (the one listed by nVidia as compatible with quad SLI on the 590GTX, so surely it'd push the 580). It's brand new.

I don't have another rig I can test any equipment in, nor do I know anyone who has anything with DDR3 in it, so I have to sort everything out locally.

AVEXIR I went with because of reviews saying they are the OEM for several other companies, including G.Skill.

After attempting to boot with nothing but CPU, Motherboard, PSU, RAM, and fans, I still get no display from the Z68 VGA, no beeps, no POST, and the DRAM light stays on.

Edit: I also have tried booting with no RAM at all installed, to at least get a RAM failure beep, and still, nothing. The RAM operates at 1.65v by default. I'd up this to see if it helps, as I've seen on a few forums, but I can't get to the BIOS to do it.

Last edited:
I tried all 4 memory banks and removing the CMOS battery and nothing worked.

Then on a whim, I *licked* the positive side of the CMOS battery. I don't know why I did it, I just thought all of a sudden, gee, I want to lick the battery for luck.

After putting the battery back in, my machine woke up, saw the RAM, saw it in dual channel when I plugged in the second bank, and my gf and I are getting the video cards ready for installation now.

This is proof that computers sometimes run on fairy dust or magic spit.

Now that's one for the ages! But you say the ram runs at 1.65v default? That's unusually high. Most DDR3 runs at 1.5v default and about 1.6 in the JEDEC overclock mode (the advertised speed of most ram that is sold as 1600 or 2000). What frequency are you running the ram at?

Back