• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Adjusting Picture Size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

I'm helping a friend install a graphics card and the resolution is a little off. Just right around the edges are too big. You can only see half the toolbar, and half the icons are cut off on the left and right and the top. We've got it hooked to his TV. If it was a computer monitor I'd just adjust it a little to make it smaller, but I can't. I tried adjusting the resolution in Windows control panel, it makes everything proportionately smaller, but everything is still all cut off on the edges. With his old graphics card it looked fine, just something went off when we installed the new card. Any ideas?

some of the newer grafics cards knowing they might be used on tvs have what is called a "overscan" function. overscan is a term used to describe the overshoot that existed on CRT tubes, where a percentage of the picture was behind the "bezel".
find that item, and adjust it.
for ATI/AMD products it is in the CCC (catalist control center) deep in some menu, for some cards it might not exist at all.

some digital televisions can have different viewing modes, and rarely have overscan control, these modes can be called "format" or other names they will use. some might have a pixel for pixel mode, or various aspect changing ability

in the display settings for windows systems, advanced, is a button called "list all modes" which can possibly find more resolution and aspect types. that will show all resolutions for the Video card itself, even if the monitor (device) does not present an ability to work with those resolutions.

the instalation of a proper "monitor driver" which just defines the paramaters of the monitor can solve this stuff often, sometimes even 100% TV items do have a monitor driver available on thier site, even though it is not really a "computer monitor". Installing the driver is simple, or you cram it in by updating the plug-&-Pray monitors in the device manager.

Added: CLONE monitor, does not provide for seperate control

anything else you would need to supply more information for people to see what your doing, you did not define the operating system, or the hardware by name, or you can turn on your camera :) and show us.

Last edited:
Back