• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Delta AFB1212HE connected to GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frank Castle

Registered
What's up? I'm currently planning out a new system and have gathered most of the components. However, I'm having trouble figuring out whether or not I can hook up a Delta AFB1212HE to the CPU_FAN header of my GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 without damaging the board after long term use. If it turns out I really should be using a fan controller, can anyone recommend a good one that will pair up with this fan?

Thanks!

According to the datasheet on that fan; it is rated for 0.32 Amps of nominal current... So figure double that for startup current and you have a max current draw of 0.64 Amps. CPU Fan headers are normally rated to 1 Amp so, in theory, you should be OK to plug the fan to the CPU fan header.... I would still check out with Gigabyte to make sure on the current rating for the CPU fan header on your motherboard before you plug the fan in.

I don't know why, but something is telling me not to plug a fan that size into this mobo, lol :chair:

Wouldn't hesitate to plug this fan into my mobo. Like Sebas said, above 1 amp and you might want to check - some Asus boards have fan headers rated to 2 amps :eek:

Thanks, all! I just now ordered the fan and heatsink. Just to make double sure, I emailed Gigabyte about this, and I will post their response.

This is the response I got from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

Each fan header on P67A-UD4-B3 board supports 12v DC up to 2.5A any fan below 2.5A should be ok to run.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

I just now noticed that the Delta fan I ordered doesn't have the 4-pin PWM connector... so, I'll be getting a fan controller anyway, lol!

This is the response I got from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

Each fan header on P67A-UD4-B3 board supports 12v DC up to 2.5A any fan below 2.5A should be ok to run.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

I just now noticed that the Delta fan I ordered doesn't have the 4-pin PWM connector... so, I'll be getting a fan controller anyway, lol!

Some mobos with 4 pin header can still control 3-pin fans AFAIK.

Was supprised the header supports upto 2.5A though! Then again I have run 4x 120mm LED Fans off a single mobo header. :bday:

Some mobos with 4 pin header can still control 3-pin fans AFAIK.

Was supprised the header supports upto 2.5A though! Then again I have run 4x 120mm LED Fans off a single mobo header. :bday:

Some mobo's will do voltage adjustments to control fans instead of PWM. I believe the 790FXT in my sig will do it, but haven't poked around the BIOS enough to know for sure.

The 2.5A spec on that board is quite surprising, however.

I've always built computers without worrying about the cpu fan - just sort of set it and forget it. But, I think I've really warmed up to the idea of being able to control this and other fans manually with a few knobs on the front of the case...

I've always built computers without worrying about the cpu fan - just sort of set it and forget it. But, I think I've really warmed up to the idea of being able to control this and other fans manually with a few knobs on the front of the case...

I've also found that I really like having those knobs on the front of my case for my fan control. If I feel I need the cooling performance, it's just a twist of a knob away. If I want to quiet things down, just another turn in the opposite direction. I also opted for the Sunbeam Rheobus, which is probably the easiest fan controller to mod for the LED colors the user wants.:D

I'm actually going to use two Zalman SF3 fans in push/pull, connect them to the mobo and start saving up for a GTX 580.

Back