• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor with no holes for arm mount??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edi-no-son

Registered
Hi guys.
Here I was planning to mount my two monitors off the edge of the table using this:
http://www.laserco.net/products/pc-accessories/pc-accessories/AO-ARM3B

Just before I go buy it, I was smart and checked to see that my monitors could actually handle it.
Alas.... my Samsung 226BW has holes, but my Samsung P2370 doesn't!!
I then went to check, and it seems like alot of the new Samsungs, benq,etc all doesn't come with any holes!!

They're all made to look sleek, design, pretty.. etc

Is there anyway to mount a screen with nothing buy a flat surface onto the mount??
I want to free up more room on my table to show off my soon to be case which sits hidden away now :(

there is a new 3M Mounting tape (foam tape) the new dark grey stuff, enough of it would hold a monitor up for 10 years, good luck getting it off again :)

some of the lightweight monitors i have here, have holes for moutning, but literally only secure to the plastic back, and no aspect of any plastic or metal framing.
Pop the back off, line up the mount, and drill , get some nice flat but wide screw heads, and make sure it is all gonna fit.

design a "tray" using acrylics or polycarbinate, and using acrylic solvent, make sure you dont cover up any cooling areas, and mount the acrylic to the mount, and snap the monitor in (and out) at will

A coat hanger ? and duct tape.

find a nice balance point high on the monitor that looks like nothing is back behind there, and use very short flat head wood type machine screws, and hope you miss anything important . mabey you can see what is safe via any vent holes on the top.

Mount a mount to the back of the monitor with a mount on it. like acrylic or some hunk of plastic , glue screw or solvent it on permanent, will extend the back a tiny bit, and reduce resale value, but it could basically stay on the back of the montor for life without much change.

Velcro :) but not the stick on kind because the glue wont hold for long enough.

Last edited:
The standard is called "VESA", in particular you'd want something called VESA Mounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Display_Mounting_Interface

Not all displays are intended to be used with wall mounting, and I'm sure there's structural considerations that need to be made in the monitor's design to account for the mounting. In lighter, thinner designs I can see why they might not include the mounts. They're rarely used, most people wouldn't miss them. I think this will be the trend moving forward as LED is the norm, requiring less power which reduces a lot of the power requirements of the panel and allows the panels to get thinner. My new LG brand LED has no mounts, and I can also see issues with the connectors in the back playing nice with the mount on a thin display like this.

There's no safe, 100% secure way to mount a LCD without proper vesa mounts. You would be better off selling the non-VESA LCD and getting a second 226BW.

http://gadgetsin.com/vesa-compliant-walet-ipad-wall-mount.htm
there is a wooden tray mount system for a Ipad, just expand on the idea a bit for a larger monitor.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but after the cost in time and/or materials this will end up costing him more than the loss on resale of the non-VESA display and purchase of a matching 226BW.

Sure, we can go to home depot and build something with zip ties, but really it's never going to be 100% secure (as I feel a properly vesa mounted LCD would be), never going to be asthetically pleasing, and is likely to cost a bunch of time and money. I'm suggesting being practical is getting the right parts for the job, not jimmy rigging it to work.

oh gawd they really did sell you that 125$ wall mount for your TV didnt they, the one made with 2 chunks of metal. :)
1 2x4 a coupla hinges and some lag bolts, we git that system up good, and it'll survive the next earthquake too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Great help :)

I might hafta upgrade the monitor then lol :p
I know not many people use it, and i normally wouldnt either, but i was thinking of ways to free up more desk space n display my computer case haha

oh gawd they really did sell you that 125$ wall mount for your TV didnt they, the one made with 2 chunks of metal. :)
1 2x4 a coupla hinges and some lag bolts, we git that system up good, and it'll survive the next earthquake too.

I don't care what mount is used, so long as it attaches itself properly to the LCD.

I know not many people use it, and i normally wouldnt either, but i was thinking of ways to free up more desk space n display my computer case haha

It's a victim of progress (shrinking size of just about everything) and cost cutting. No need to include things that aren't in much demand.

I don't care what mount is used, so long as it attaches itself properly to the LCD.

i tried to esplain, I have a VESA complient lightweight monitor, and its mount system is nothing more than properly spaced holes in the back of the plastic , threaded with the correct pitch, with no proper supporting framing behind there, i have had it apart.

you keep making it sound like it is some vast feat of engeneering to get a drill out put a few holes in something, and thread it. mabey toss a back plate in.
worth tossing a perfectally good monitor out for sale and paying doubble for a good one with the right stuff.

You did put your own processor in a computer right? screws back plate ?
had to take the case off to do it, mabey a few screws?

Many of these things also have robust base pieces with real metal mounting points , with the swing arm in hand a person wouldnt even have to measure it , just stuff it up there and draw it on with a sharpie and figure out a locations for a hold.

how does the word VESA change the laws of gravity and mechanics?

Last edited:
you keep making it sound like it is some vast feat of engeneering to get a drill out put a few holes in something, and thread it. mabey toss a back plate in.
worth tossing a perfectally good monitor out for sale and paying doubble for a good one with the right stuff.

Most LCD vesa mounts are backplated, with metallic threaded screw holes. It's not a simple task to drill the plastic, come up with a sufficient backplate, drill and thread the backplate holes... especially on newer slim designs where there's little if any room at all for screw threads to encroach on the internal compartments.

But this isn't even what you've suggested. Double stick tape and a gaudy homemade shelf solution. If you want to modify his existing monitor for him to use a vesa compatible mount maybe offer to do that. You make it sound easy, so it should take you no time at all. Would be worth the shipping to/fro. ;)

It's not going to be double the cost, and he can buy a used second monitor. he doesn't even need an exact duplicate second monitor, just something with the same physical screen size and resolution with vesa mounts (there's plenty 1-2 year old, non-LED models to choose from).

This is about aesthetics and assurance. Good mounting is both pleasing to the eye and reliable. That's why the standard exists and why there's a sub market for mounting solutions. Some corners can be cut if the user is handy, but in most cases people lack the tools, willingness, coordination, and/or time to tackle making such things by hand. Nothing I posted seems unreasonable. Double stick tape? Really? Wooden shelf? lol

Last edited:
3m mounting tape is sooo different than the old white foam tape i keep my cars quarterpannel on with it , when the bailing wire wont work. :)

We have to think inovativly, create , or all of it is done in china for us, poorly. and we becomes dependant on name brand mounting systems and cell phones that only work for a year.
it is sure to doom us all, it is important to discover and manufacture something easily at home, if a big wave hits japan, we could be left stranded, empty, desolute. we become more than anything mindless pawns of communist china , then they will have won.

Now where did i put that American flag icon :)

I agree 100% with the idea of self sufficiency (I do a lot of my own car and home repairs), but I can't make that a requirement for everyone when giving advice on the internet. Plus what I find "fine" with regards to visually acceptible compromises may not be up to someone else's standards.

More importantly, it's easy to say "go build it", but without tools and knowledge about how to specifically accomplish the task it's an empty solution/suggestion. If you want to post modification diagrams for his monitor, step-by-step instructions, and a parts list then maybe we're on to something... ;)

As for the 3m tape, I have zero experience directly with that product but know a lot of those workarounds have a margin for error (like, they work better on some surfaces, more-so than with others, humidity/temperature requirements, etc). I do have to get creative in my line of work and have done my fair share of cobjobs. They're NEVER as bullet proof as having the ideal solution, they're a compromise. If the OP was broke then he might find the 3M tape solution appealling, knowing there's some risk (however small, but still greater than proper mounting) of the monitor falling off one day.

Last edited:
""Is there anyway to mount a screen with nothing buy (but) a flat surface onto the mount??""

ahh see, i just follow the OPs request :) did he say what monitor should i buy that HAS holes already in it?

indeed that monitor would require plans to attach to the base mount for sure.
if he needs plans for drilling 4 holes and putting screws in them, i dont think i can help.

now that i think about it i never have used plans, mabey something tossed on a napkin
built a Deck and a shed 3 sales booths, and just winged it 2 of the 5 were a complete embarasment sure i measure a few times, when nessisary, but you know how that goes, measure twice , cut once, put it up there and its in the wrong place. so i start by putting it up there first now.

Last edited:
""Is there anyway to mount a screen with nothing buy (but) a flat surface onto the mount??""

ahh see, i just follow the OPs request :) did he say what monitor should i buy that HAS holes already in it?

He didn't know the right question(s) to ask, or the implications of the answers to his original quesiton. I'm feeling pretty good about my replies to this thread and my advice given. Or, that is to say, he'll never come back here and blame me (or the forum) for bad advice.

haha thanks to both Pinky and Psycogeec.
I'm hanging around the forums for good, so will be here to see any advice.

Both of you make good points, and tbh I'm not sure which road I'm gonna take as both of you have an argument!
My thoughts so far:
- The newer P2370 does have a rather flat rear surface, so I could look into getting a metal plate made up which that would copy a VESA plate and find a method to attach it on via some strong adhesive.
- Same as above, but maybe if it's not hard taking the back panel off, attach it internally so will only really see the screw holes rather than the whole plate
- Swap a friend for a 226bw. My only down side is that the 226bw only comes with vga and dvi, and no hdmi port.
Is there actually any quality difference between hdmi and dvi?
- Be content and don't touch a thing... and work more effectively with less table space and keep my case hidden away under the table :(

Anyway, I understand that a 'make-shift' VESA mount would compromise and have a higher chance of 'falling', but if I can make it a 0.001% difference of it happening and costing me $10, then I'll consider :)

But again, both of you, thank you!!

Is there actually any quality difference between hdmi and dvi?

Yes/no, but for most purposes no. If you want to stream audio over the same cable, of course hdmi can't be beat.

Anyway, I understand that a 'make-shift' VESA mount would compromise and have a higher chance of 'falling', but if I can make it a 0.001% difference of it happening and costing me $10, then I'll consider :)

There-in lies the question. How do you figure out the % possible failrate? Even a VESA mount has a porbability of failure, even if it's astronomically small. This is the compromise you'll have to work out for yourself, and live with when you come home one day and find the monitor laying face down across the stapler on your desk. :p That said, good adhesive can do wonders, but like I said prior there's a lot of environmental and material conditions that change its effectiveness. I'd do a lot of homework first before commiting to that solution, just to be sure the two surfaces you plan on joining will stay bonded indefinitely, even as one of them (the LCD) warms. This isn't to scare you away from that solution, it's to make you aware of the risks.

and the safety cable. ( a vesa complient one :)
at the hardware store get a length of the braided cable for locking stuff up, and 2 crush cable assembler ends. test function, make loop at each end, and crush. figure out where that would go.

there is a new 3M Mounting tape (foam tape) the new dark grey stuff, enough of it would hold a monitor up for 10 years, good luck getting it off again :)

some of the lightweight monitors i have here, have holes for moutning, but literally only secure to the plastic back, and no aspect of any plastic or metal framing.
Pop the back off, line up the mount, and drill , get some nice flat but wide screw heads, and make sure it is all gonna fit.

design a "tray" using acrylics or polycarbinate, and using acrylic solvent, make sure you dont cover up any cooling areas, and mount the acrylic to the mount, and snap the monitor in (and out) at will

A coat hanger ? and duct tape.

find a nice balance point high on the monitor that looks like nothing is back behind there, and use very short flat head wood type machine screws, and hope you miss anything important . mabey you can see what is safe via any vent holes on the top.

Mount a mount to the back of the monitor with a mount on it. like acrylic or some hunk of plastic , glue screw or solvent it on permanent, will extend the back a tiny bit, and reduce resale value, but it could basically stay on the back of the montor for life without much change.

Velcro :) but not the stick on kind because the glue wont hold for long enough.

And thanks to your advice, this is exactly what I did.

back.jpg

front.jpg

No sense in selling the monitor after I bought it this year (HP 2711x). Bought another one (HP 2011x) to mount next to it vertically. Didn't know there wasn't a VESA mount when I purchased it and found out the hard way after I bought the stand. It cost me a 20 dollar bill and a couple hours of time which I don't consider too much of a hardship. Thanks again! Peace out--BF3 for PC all the way.

BTW: This is an ABS plastic mount glued to the back with ABS cement--cut to size--drilled and thrilled!

Last edited:
Back