• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need feedback on new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oh_noes

Registered
hello all

i'm building myself a brand new pc and i'd love some feedback

first things first everything is expensive in my country,this build alone costs 2 times the minimum wage :censored:,so pls bear that in mind

cpu: intel i5-2400
mobo: msi h61m-p21
ram: 2x2 gb kingston hyper-x 1333mhz cl7
gpu: powercolor hd6850
psu: seasonic m12II 620w 80+ bronze
hdd: samsung spinpoint f3 1tb sata2
heatsink: coolermaster vortex plus
case: coolermaster elite rc-342

i have an 24 inch monitor that runs 1920x1080

i'm not playing those crazy "i must destroy every computer in the world" new generation fps games :thup:

i won't overclock,sli,upgrade
i won't have usb3 products for at least 3-4 years so i can pass it for now

would a h61 mobo bottleneck any of that stuff
would that case have enough airflow with 1 intake 1 exhaust fan built (i will remove the hdd cage and the psu is modular)
can that mobo run the ram at advertised speed and latency

thanks in advance

Get what you can afford, nothing wrong with that. What country do you live in? Why don't you have stuff shipped their from the US?

Your MSI mobo will not bottlenech anything and can run the memory you listed. Also Airflow will be fine since you said you will not overclock.

One thing to look into is whether you can maybe afford a different video card. Cut costs in other places like maybe the Hard drive. Can you use one you already have?

Say a 6950? They also have the potential to flash to a 6970 if you buy a reference card.

well an 6950 is nearly double the price of 6850 here so i can't

as for buying from us and getting it shipped would cost double what i pay because of taxes and there is a %10 chance that it will be sent back from customs and about %50 chance that it will wait weeks in customs before shipping so thats out of the question as well

what i meant was,sometimes mobos can't run the ram at its advertised specs even if it says it supports it

i have 1 more question tho
does the gpu take power from a single rail in multi-rail psu's ? if so i have to check wattage on rails and pick accordingly

thanks for feedback

Last edited:
those ram speeds are slow so no worries on any motherboard running that (even though the memory controller is the CPU).

GPU pulls power from where you plug it in. Its not up to the GPU to decide its what you plug in to it. that said, that seasnoic is a quality PSU and dont worry about the plugs, just plug it in.

Looks good.

problem is seasonic products are out of stock most of the time,i might have to get another brand

i know they are a very good brand,in fact the only viable one here,we only have the very top models of other good brands which is overkill for non-sli systems

so considering wherever you plug it into means single rail,how many amps would an 6850 need

i have read anywhere from 8 to 20 on the internet,i couldn't find a clear answer

thanks in advance

stock cooler - noisy and higher heat(bad for long term health no ? ) i can cut down to stock cooler looking copper base quiet fan ones tho but that would save me about 10 bucks in your currency

as for hdd the price of the 500gb spinpoint is only 10 bucks lower in your currency and i would really love to get rid of my usb external drive and store my data internally so 1tb is better for me

those extra 20 bucks wouldn't get me a 6870 in here

Gotcha :thup:. The stock cooler is sufficient for non-OCed CPUs, IMO. Since you can't OC there's no noticible difference between stock and aftermarket other then noise.

Spot on ^^.

Stock cooler is FINE for stock CPU's. Its not an opinion though, its a fact. No company produces stock coolers that do not work. You will upgrade your PC before the expected heat of the stock cooler kills your CPU.

it is sufficent of course,but i have to take 3+ years of usage into account so thats why i am asking the cooler and the wattage

i want to have headroom i don't want the psu run at high load all the time,i want to have lower heat on my cpu so it performs just about well when it's aged

you americans are so lcuky when it comes to tech products :p

Usage does not matter. Its FINE.

PSU is also fine. The system you are running wont use more than 300W FULLY LOADED. You could have easily gotten away with a quality 450W PSU.

ok ok don't get mad

thanks for clearing everything up,i wasnted to make sure

Back