• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battery issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

So I've got a new HP laptop here and I'm playing around with things. At first every time I unplugged the thing it immediately shut down. I made some changes in the power scheme and fixed that part, but now it seems the thing doesn't know what state the battery is in. First it says 100% 0 minutes then 100% 30 minutes then 2 minutes later it says 0% critical. WTF? I went into the hardware manager and tried uninstalling ACPI-compliant control method battery but there are 2 of them. I uninstalled them both then told it to scan for changes it found them both again and put them back. Didn't fix the issue. What's going on here?

want to try it again, with one more step, that could make a bit of difference if you assume the the battery has a microcontroller on it of some sort.
http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

then i would charge the thing up, overnite,(with it OFF) and next day run it off battery till it quits running off battery, then recharge it (with it OFF) .

Should have added that this computer is running win xp home premium. I can put 7 on it though it is very capable. It just came with xp I'll try this though when i get home and see what happens. Upgrading to 7 is cause for concern because there are no drivers for it available. There are drivers for vista though so I should be good. Thanks for the input.

Should have added that this computer is running win xp home premium. I can put 7 on it though it is very capable. It just came with xp I'll try this though when i get home and see what happens. Upgrading to 7 is cause for concern because there are no drivers for it available. There are drivers for vista though so I should be good. Thanks for the input.

well knowing which OS and if 32 or 64 would have helped with my web searching, but from what i saw, it could have been vista or even Linux , and had the same issue

I checked for if HP had any propritary/different ACPI driver items, and saw they had the usual one, and a voodoo one. then 2 items that integrated somehow with ACPI , a "Driver Manager" driver/software, and a "protection storage" driver/software.
that could be important or not at all, because i still have no idea other than.
a percentage of people are thinking that it is ACPI driver items, and they need to do something about it or update it.

Last edited:
Back