• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Log: Custom Wooden PC Case in Maple Hardwood.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnmachine

[PROJECT LOG]: Custom Wooden PC Case in Maple Hardwood.

Hey all, I have been working on my latest project on and off for the past few weeks and have finally decided to post my progress. Specs on the internals of the computer are to be determined however it will be a dual purpose light gaming and server case.

Specs:

- 3 x 120mm front intake fans
- 2 x 140mm top outtake fans
- 1 x 120mm back outtake fan
- 1 external 5.25" bay (3 internal)
- 6 internal 3.5" drive bays
- front temperature gauge readout
- front vandal resistive power switch
- front HDD activity/power LED

All metal will be painted matte or glossy black(still undecided), however I was leaning towards a matte finish.

All maple hardwood will be stained with a semi-transparent stain in a medium-dark brown.

All fan openings will be covered with aluminum fan filters/guards. Also any other cut-outs or seams will be trimmed using solid maple strips.

*Please excuse the poor image quality, they were taken with a cell phone at my shop, I hope to get better ones soon*

Internal Components

0616111156-00.jpg

Switch

Push-button-switch-V19-series-with-100-guaranteed-quality-silver-contact-IP65-CE-certificate.s...jpg

Motherboard Tray

0616111204-00.jpg

5.25" drive bays

0616111204-01.jpg

3.5" drive cage

0616111205-00.jpg

Back I/O plate cut out

0616111353-01.jpg

Motherboard tray risers for cable routing

0629111207-00.jpg

Tray on risers

0629111221-00.jpg

Spacing beneath risers for cables

0629111221-02.jpg

Back I/O plate final with trims

0629111328-00.jpg

0629111427-01.jpg

PSU cable hole yet to be trimmed.

Thanks for looking :) Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Very nice, sub'd. I have been wanting a wooden case for a while now, what made you choose maple?

Very nice, sub'd. I have been wanting a wooden case for a while now, what made you choose maple?

Thanks! I am currently building my new home which uses all maple woodworking for trims baseboards and cabinets. With this in mind I also have a computer center built on my second floor which is the main PC hub for the upper 6 bdrms. So this rig is going to be built to match this pc desk, I will be doing 2.

Last edited:
Front CD drive and temperature gauge trims, along with front power/hdd indicator LEDs. I used a very thin piece of maple to cover two holes in which I will place the LEDs, these will in-turn shine through the maple.

0704111355-00.jpg

Coat #1 for HDD cages and racks (after prime and sand).

0706111239-02.jpg

looking good so far. Wood cases are always great when built correctly, and you look well on your way to an awesome case!

Looks nice man. I see you have the makita LXT set. I have 2 of them(less one impact) and they are fabulous.

Well good luck with the build ill be watching.

Thanks for all the positive response guys!

Sorry for the delay in progress but I have been incredibly busy and haven't had much time to dedicate to this project.

I will definitely dedicate some time to this in the next month or so.

I know that feeling, Ive got my cube sitting out in the garage with misc components just stacked up inside of it unpainted, incomplete...

Well hope you have time to work on it soon and good luck!

I just started designing my own wood case, and I love the matte black idea. I'm probably going to steal that for my rig... Anyway, this looks like a pretty solid effort (compared to some others I've found online), and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

How do you like working with maple so far?

where did you get that motherboard tray? can you buy something like that somewhere, or have to cannibalize a computer case?

Back