• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newly built pc problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkm1687

Registered
Hey everyone,

Just finished my 2 builds and mine runs great my girlfriends is having some issues though, For some reason when i run prime95 the system will reboot itself or go to a bluescreen with something about drivers, or memory.. The system specs are

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
ASUS M5A87
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Nvidia GTX 260

Ive tried updating the drivers i could figure out and updating the bios. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or ideas on the issue would be awesome,

Thanks
James

no there not identical mine is the one posted in my sig, which is working fine atm. and ill run memtest when i get home out atm

no there not identical mine is the one posted in my sig, which is working fine atm. and ill run memtest when i get home out atm

Run memtest86+ for at least 4 passes. If it fails then run it on each individual stick to sort out which one is the culprit. Try each stick in each slot if you get errors initially to determine if the stick or the slot is the problem.

psu is a 600w corsair. I ran memtest on both pcs to see what would happen and both crashed to the same bluescreen. i updated my bios for my pc and am running it again on mine. This pc also crashed and bsod.

Are all bios settings on "Auto"? How's about posting screenies of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" on your next post. I'd like to see what your voltages and frequencies look like.

psu is a 600w corsair. I ran memtest on both pcs to see what would happen and both crashed to the same bluescreen. i updated my bios for my pc and am running it again on mine. This pc also crashed and bsod.

We definitely have found an issue then. That shouldn't happen.

Please post the info Trents asked for. He's very good at fixin stuff.

Run memtest in DOS booted from a USB stick. Not in Windows. Just download the bootable version and when you restart, press (usually F8 or F12 varies by mobo vendor) to get the boot selection popup and pick your USB drive.

heres the cpuz pics...and no i set the ram voltage to 1.5000000 and the timings to 9,9,9,24 thinking auto was the problem

Attachments

• cpuz.png
    cpuz.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 88
  • cpuz2.png
    cpuz2.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 90
Thanks, would have like to have had "CPU" tab of CPU-z as well. But of what you gave me I see nothing that looks out of normal range. It seems unlikely that both PCs would have bad ram. This suggests to me either an incompatibility issue or a buggy bios.

What is your ram voltage set to? Sometimes bios assigns wrong "Auto" values to things. Go into bios, take the ram voltage off Auto and make sure the ram is set to the factory recommended voltage of 1.50. Actually, put it to 1.55 just to make sure its getting plenty.

If that doesn't work, try running the ram in single channel mode. I had a Gigabyte board that would not run my ram in dual channel until they finally (after months of waiting) put out a new bios version that fixed the bug.

Last edited:
yes i manually set the ram to 1.5v and 9 9 9 24 timings...i got memtest running again and going to see if i can get 2 passes then back to prime95.....if they still fail ill try each stick seperatley and see what happens.

Ill update again a bit later and thanks sooo much for the help, sucks having issues like this on a new system

Last edited:
well i just ran memtest again for a few hrs up tp 200% coverage and there were no issues so im soooo lost atm, about to load up prime95 and see what happens.

James, could this be an overheating issue? Have you checked core temps while running Prime95? If you're case ventilation is poor, thermal paste is applied incorrectly, the heatsink is not seated well with good pressure, or if ambient temps are unusually high you could be having overheating problems. Don't forget, the CPU cache is part of the memory subsystem.

You might also look at tying a different version of Memtest86+ if you suspect something is fishy. There have been reports that some versions gereate false errors on some systems.

Last edited:
well windows installed another update when i shut it down last night and today it hast crashed yet nd i ran memtest a few hrs and prime95. so well see what happens now my gfs been playin wow on it to so its been in use

Back