• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

785gtm-e45 overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garth

Hi all,
This past weekend I decided to try get my Phenom II x2 550 (3.1GHz stock) to hit 4.0GHz on air.

Ill quickly list my hardware for you guys:
mobo : MSI 785gtm-e45*
CPU : AMD Phemon II X2 550 BE
GPU : ASUS HD4850
Ram : kingston DDR2 800 2x2gig
PSU : 600w
Well I started off after a couple weeks of reading the OCF for info on overclocking the Phenom II. I of course read “DOLK’s Guide” thoroughly. Which was very useful.
I first went about finding my max FSB which was 255 and my max stable multi was 19.0 but 19.5 with minor stability issues, both of course on stock voltages.
I started my testing with: FSB set at 200 MHz and CPU multi set to15.5 (Stock). I then proceeded to up the multi by initially 1.0 until I reached 17.5 and from there on continued by 0.5 increments. I found out at stock voltages my max OC is 3.8 GHz when testing with Prime95. I did however up it to 3.9GHz and though Prime95 crashed at around the 15min mark.
I upped my CPU-NB to 2.4GHz, but still no improvement.
Now knowing I needed to up the CPU voltage a little I went to the bios and found out, there wasn’t even the option for CPU voltage adjustment on my board. So I searched the net and found a bios update/revision that added that option in to the bios. So I then flashed my bios to the new v8.6 and began to slowly adjust the voltage in my bios. It started at 1.384volts so I slowly upped it to gradually while testing up until 1.55 volts. I thought that this would help. And so after my whole Sunday of overclocking, I glimpsed at my voltage in CPU-Z and it stilled showed 1.384volts. So I thought maybe its got to do with the new bios, so I downloaded the new CPU-Z and it still showed the voltage to be 1.384volts. So I checked my bios and it shows 1.55volts.
Now being a little confused by this I jumped onto the laptop and searched the net for answers. I came across one post where a guy linked to a Taiwanese website in which he said that the motherboard needs to have a resistor in order to be able to adjust the voltages. So there goes my dream of hitting 4.0 GHz.

So has anyone else managed to adjust the CPU voltages on the 785gtm-e45? Or am I just missing some crucial step here?:fight:

Thanks
Garth

From reading g00gle hits which mostly were in late 2009, it is apparent that is an older board. You waited a long time to try and change the Cpu Vcore and to find out it was n0t adjustable without a modification to the motherboard. ECN 3.0 or later supposedly allowed for a 'true' Vcore adjustment. You should contact MSI Technical support to determine if they can be of any help to you. That is the only way you will adjust Vcore.

Ye, I agree that I waited a long time. The reason being, i was a complete noob until not so long ago wrt PC's :) . I only used the PC for gaming and what not. Now that the bug has bitten I decided to overclock my PC. Its cool if it turns out I can adjust the voltages but if not its no big deal. Im just getting the feel for overclocking atm. Which is addictive lol.

I will of course do thorough research for my next PC before spending any money.

Thanks for the advise on contacting MSI. I will do that and see how it goes.
Cheers

Good luck with MSI. I am of a mind that they will do little due the age of the board itself. I don't know MSI's warranty time frame and I expect it may be already out of even warranty. It is for sure that they will be the one's to know since that is what everything I read about the bios that really did nothing said to do...was contact MSI Tech Support.

Most of the major motherboard manufacturers warranty their boars for a year, I think. For future reference, I would go away from MSI next time. Their quality has fallen off in recent years.

Noted. I probably wont MSI for my next board. At the time this current pc was built i didnt know too much a bout pcs. basically, if it was compatible and cheap, i got it. But now that i have some knowledge and my own money to spend I will do a better job on the next pc I build.

Thanks for the info guys.

Back