• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

logitech Z-5500 + Dell 2407FP-HC + DirecTV HD Receiver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharMz

I have a 24in Dell with the following ports:
1x - DVI connector
1x - VGA connector
1x - Composite video connector
1x - S-Video connector
1x - Component video connectors

I also have logitech z5500s, I am not completely sure the ways I am able to hook this up

directv receiver info: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...nt/hd_receiver

I basicly just got directv, so I want to hook my directv HD receiver to the dell monitor either though:
HDMI(from the directv rec) to DVI(monitor)
VS
component to component

THEN..

I need to hook my z5500s to either the monitor or the receiver?

If you can provide newegg links to the cables I will need that would be awsome :)

Last edited:
Can you re-write this less confusingly? You have a receiver? Like a real one?

I am sorry :p

I have a DirecTV HD Rec, a Dell Monitor, and z5500 speakers

I would like to hook all 3 of those up together

Ok. Lots of ways to do that. First thing I'd try is to see if it'll let you do RCA and HDMI out together, and run an HDMI>DVI to your monitor and RCA to miniplug to your Z5500 (tv is stereo anyways)

You should post this in the audio/video forum btw.

Ok the HDMI to DVI to monitor is decided then?, becuz that is better then component?

but about the speakers..

there is a digital audio out(it seems to be coax) on the HD receiver, and on the speakers there is 6 ch direct, and then digital (coax & optical)

so how about these cables then:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

EDIT: sorry for posting in the wrong forum

What is 6 channel direct??
Those speakers won't take digital out?

Yes HDMI is a nicer quality picture than component for sure.

I am not sure what 6 channel direct is :)..but it does not matter

The speakers have a hookup for Digital coax & optical...so its digital in, why woudl i need out??

so the two cables i have posted above should work?

I am not sure what 6 channel direct is :)..but it does not matter

The speakers have a hookup for Digital coax & optical...so its digital in, why woudl i need out??

What do you mean?

The out is your direct TV the in is the speakers.

Yes if you have an HDMI>DVI cable that handles the monitor and if you have digital coax/optical on your direct TV and the speakers then those connections will work.

You may need to configure some setting there to make the sound go out via the digital coax/opti rather than HDMI.

might want to check if you're betting off using the DAC on the receiver and feed the z5500 analog rather than using its not exceptional DAC.

I have no idea what this means..

can you please explain?

When you feed the speakers a digital signal, they have to do the conversion to anolog. When you feed them an anolog signal the conversion is already done by your receiver. DAC= digital/analog converter. There's a good chance the DAC in your receiver is better than the one in the z5500 so you would be better of using analog out from the receiver to the z5500's.

When you feed the speakers a digital signal, they have to do the conversion to anolog. When you feed them an anolog signal the conversion is already done by your receiver. DAC= digital/analog converter. There's a good chance the DAC in your receiver is better than the one in the z5500 so you would be better of using analog out from the receiver to the z5500's.

ok, I understand...but why are devices set up that way??

what is the point of using digital when it has to be converted to analog anyway...

there is not a performance diff?...if all these conv have to be done..

I wouldn't worry a whole bunch about which converter to use. The Z5500's aren't audiophile speakers by any means.

A diital in and converted to analog means nothing more than the 1's and 0's are converted to a voltage and current level like ANY speaker does and that is an analog signal.

Some DACs are better than others. You can buy a $10,000 DAC that goes great with a $7000 CD player that's on a 200 lb block of granite. Then the DAC sends the digital out to the $15,000 amplifier, converts it to analog to the $25,000 speakers.

Back