• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 965 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cojac92

So far... I've got my 965 to 3.960Ghz. It comes stock at 3.4Ghz. I want to hit 4.080Ghz on air; I'm using a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 cpu cooler currently. My first water cooling setup will arrive here Wednesday, and I'm just seeing what I can do on air first.

4.080Ghz is stable until a load greater than 70% is put on the cpu. My temps are good... 100% load on the whole system for 20mins will only produce a 52'C temp on my cpu... so I don't think heat is the issue.

Now for the problem, when a large load is placed on the cpu while at 4.080Ghz I get a white & black fuzzy screen (like tv static) for 1 second... then the system reboots. Tried several things... not sure what to do.

My temps are good... 100% load on the whole system for 20mins will only produce a 52'C temp on my cpu... so I don't think heat is the issue.

CPU temps are not as important as core temps. What are the core temps running under max load after 10-15 minutes of Prime95 blend? HWMonitor is a great program for monitoring both CPU temps and core temps.

I am unable to get temps from any monitor other than PC Probe 2... I'm not sure on that one either.

Like I said in my previous post... I am unable to get any temp readings from all the monitors I have tried (hw monitor being one of them) When I use hw monitor it recognizes my X4 965, but all core temps are 0...

The only thing I have had success with is PC probe 2, and it only gives me a CPU temp reading.

Good suggestion, RGone. Yes, make sure the ACC or whatever the core unlocking feature in bios is called. If its enabled then core temp sensing is scuttled.

What motherboard are you running?
What voltages are you pumping through your CPU?
How are you overclocking? Multiplier only or are you also increasing the bus?
Do you have Cool'n'Quiet disabled?

52C at load at 4GHz is pretty unbelievable unless you have crazy low ambient temperatures (or is that not the actual Core temp, but the CPU temp?). If that is the core temp, you have a few .1V increases left to hit your temperature ceiling. You can go up to 1.55V, but anything above 1.45V lacks stability for me with ever changing ambient temperatures (friggen Texas heat).

Ok, I had my Turbo-Evo turned on, and my Core-Unlocker turned on last time I tried HWmonitor. So I disabled both like you guys said.... now it's even worse. It doesn't even recognize my CPU

hwmonitor.png

Have you tried CoreTemp? It's a popular core temp monitoring utility and free. Unfortunately the user interface calls it "CPU" temp but it really is core temp.

Mine did the same thing after enabling/disabling functions in BIOS. Have you tried restarting again (one more time) before loading HWTemp? AMD Overdrive is another program you could use for temperature readouts.

Ok, I got my HWmonitor to work now... So what's next for pushing this 965 past 3.9? Getting 41'C under full load... with an 80'F ambient temp. So I feel sure I could bring it down.

Edit: Ugh... I can't even get it past 3.6 now for some reason.. :(

Last edited:
Post voltages for your current OC @ 3.9Ghz? You should be able to get at 4.0Ghz under 1.6-1.5v as far as I've seen...

Also, if you're new liquid cooler is on the way then I would say just wait brother, you don't want to fry anything that WOULDN'T have fried with that sweet new setup!

Dumb question, but is that AMD Cool 'N' Quiet crap off? Also yeah make sure your cores are "unlocked" or whatever (I forget if they need to be locked or unlocked for the status monitors to work).

Sometimes 3rd party status monitor programs have problems with the specific brand monitor chip you may have on your mobo; MSI used to source their chips from Fintek, which is what I have, though I haven't had any problems.

It can basically be that you're board has a 3rd party monitoring chip that you are attempting to use 3rd party software to analyze.. But since I've never really seen this problem all that often, than all I can say is ::shrug::, sorry bro..

Perhaps see what company makes the chip or your Mobo company recommends for status monitoring (if they do at all). Maybe those higher voltages are making parts of your mobo herp the derp?

Also, have you done any Memory Overclocking? You can get BSOD and crashes from that stuff that can imitate CPU problems if you forgot about what you did voltage/Mhz-wise..

u can get 4ghz just by upping the multiplier from stock up. and bring the voltage up and slowly tweak until stable. with this 965 iv hit 4.5 on air. (golden chip) but 4ghz+ is easy with the 965.

There's usually more involved than bumping up the core voltage in order to get the Denebs up to 4 ghz. Usually, you have to bump up the CPUNB voltage and the CUPNB frequency and maybe bump the ram voltage up a little, even though core voltage is the main tool. Cojac92, What's your CPU core voltage set to in bios?

Last edited:
Back