• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob new help & opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

I was thinking about upgrading my cpu to a quad or six core .. I mostly play games and listen to music and burn cd's.. I need some help with this please ....I want to run the up and coming games because I have been a gamer all my life.. Oh and be able to play BFBC2...

MB~GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G
CPU~AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE Oc~4.22 ghz
MEM~CORSAIR XMS3 4GB
GPU~ Sapphire ATI HD 4870-stock settings
HS~Spire TherMax Eclipse II Five D.T. Heatpipe
TC-Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance
PS~Corsair VX550W
HD~Barracuda 320 Gbytes
CASE~Rosewill CHALLENGER

Someone posted this same question. Wait for bulldozer. Your mobo will take it. Much better CPU than anything current. You have 1/2 of a 955BE at the moment. Most games use 2 cores. You'd see 0% improvement. BD offers better performance per core.

Also that 4870 was a nice card in the fall of 2008 but it's pretty pokey by today's standards. You should get around to upgrading that as well at some point.

I don't think they've given an official release date for BD. It was supposed to be by the end of Q2 2011 which was the end of June.

Well i just realized that a quad and six core are about the same price but the six core is a couple dollars more...

Back