• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

time to upgrade: Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjdude

my current CPU is a complete bottleneck for my system..... Its time to upgrade

My specs now are:
dual core athlonx64 oc to 3ghz.
8gigs of DDR2
gtx 580
antec 900W PSU
64G SSD
1Tb HD

I realize the 580 is overkill in this system, but someone gave it to me. (long story)

I dont want the 2600K because I dont have the extra $100 for hyper threading that wont be utilized anyways.

I am just doing a MB upgrade. So The SSD, HD, and PSU will be reused.

Ideas, Opinions????

compbuild.png

Looks solid. The 2600 also adds 2MB of cache. Just so you know. Don't need it for games.
You're overkill on the CPU cooler. A Coolermaster Hyper212+ can handle anything a sane person would do to a 2500K. You would need to do a suicide run (ultra high voltage overclock) on that CPU to exceed the thermal capacity of the cooler and hit the Temp max cut out on the CPU. 1.35v (which is 4.5Ghz on a horrible 2500K and 4.8 on a good one) is only about 60 degrees on that cooler.

I would like this CPU to last me 5+ years like the athlon+64 has:) the cooler should just keep the chip happy/give me room to OC in the years to come. Stock I think it should be able to run any game max at playable frame-rates. I will OC as it becomes necessary.

I was most worried about my choice of RAM. I have not done my HW on it and want the "most bang for my buck".

IMO unless you have a tiny case, H50 is a waste of money. Garbage price/performance. This is still overkill but will keep your chip nice and happy.

RAM is fine, it isn't a big deal. Getting it for as cheap as you can is this.

And this doesn't make a badass color scheme or anyhting... *coughredcathodescough* :D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 25
Haha im getting the case for $70 cooler for $30 from best buy my cuz works there and gets a discount.

Back