• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with laptop... cant figure it out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

ive got a laptop about 5 years old. listed in my sig..

the screen come on for mobo post screen only than either goes dark (no backlight at all) or freezes with artifacts. It wont stay on for more than 5 or so seconds.

I need to figure this out. cant tell if its the video card, screen, ram or something else.

Hitting the screen doesnt do anything, cant plug in a external monitor as the port IIRC is disabled and cant get into bios/windows long enough to enable.

what do you guys recommend?

If the backlight comes on at all, than it's probably OK. The fact that it freezes with artifacts is a very strong indicator that the fault lies with the video card.

Given the current value of the notebook and cost and availability of replacement parts, I would not recommend that you put any money into it, but rather invest in a newer replacement notebook.

If the backlight comes on at all, than it's probably OK. The fact that it freezes with artifacts is a very strong indicator that the fault lies with the video card.

Given the current value of the notebook and cost and availability of replacement parts, I would not recommend that you put any money into it, but rather invest in a newer replacement notebook.

does it require a new motherboard as a whole or just the graphics chip?

EDIT**

Guy offering to try and repair it for $70, no repair no cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-DV6...741345741?pt=Motherboards&hash=item1c1cbeb9cd

good reviews..

Last edited:
I know that the DV6000 series had issues with wireless. The wireless card would cease to function, but the card was not broken. The actual slot that the card interfaced with had a faulty controller. HP had a silent extension of the warranty to address this issue. My fiancee's laptop had to be sent in for warranty work and they replaced the whole motherboard.

Due to the series having an issue with faulty motherboards, you might have an issue that can only be remedied with a motherboard swap/replacement. It may be time to throw in the towel. :(

I know that the DV6000 series had issues with wireless. The wireless card would cease to function, but the card was not broken. The actual slot that the card interfaced with had a faulty controller. HP had a silent extension of the warranty to address this issue. My fiancee's laptop had to be sent in for warranty work and they replaced the whole motherboard.

Due to the series having an issue with faulty motherboards, you might have an issue that can only be remedied with a motherboard swap/replacement. It may be time to throw in the towel. :(

Yes come to think of it, my wife also had this series laptop and the wireless had issues. What a pain that laptop was

Back