• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Provide some examples of business Linux usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gray_mouse

Registered
Hi. I'm opening a business in Russia. Here people use pirated software, but are switching to licensed because of raids and severe punishments. As one of my services I'm offering Linux alternative (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, Debian). I need some examples of how Linux was used successfully for large projects.

1. I need example where Linux was used in large network environment, 50+ computers. People talk about unmanegibility of Linux in such environments due to lack of active directory.

2. I need example where Linux was used to create and render a movie. Preferably a notable motion picture.

3. I need example where Linux was used to design an architectural structure.

4. I need other interesting and notable examples.

Primarily Linux will be replacing office and company management computers. 1,000 dollars of paid software will be replaced with free. No viruses, no blue screens of death.

Well, let me clarify myself. Plz give me names of movies, projects, and corporations who used Linux successfully.

I apologize for being vague. This link here http://lwn.net/Articles/357658/ explains how Google uses linux.

The second link I added for Blender has a list of completed movies to look at. There is just so much 'good' to linux it really is hard to sum up.

Android also uses the Linux kernel in their phones. :)

Well, let me clarify myself. Plz give me names of movies, projects, and corporations who used Linux successfully.

I worked for IMAX they are an all Linux shop. As is Spin and Mr. X. (all are movie studios doing special FX on holly wood films)

Banking here in Canada is also heavily reliant on AIX and Linux (either one or the other or both)

I currently work for a software developer who make software for banks and we are primarily linux as well

Last edited:
There are honestly alot of uses for Linux as a Business standpoint. Though we work with all the major banks in the US (i.e JP Morgan Chase, Frost, Comerica, Wells Fargo, Union Bank of CA. To name a few) and they are not too welcoming of Linux due to lack of knowledge I think.

But in house we use Linux on Workstations and have all our applications hosted on a Citrix server, So that saves alot when buying machines. Also for our older pc's that are really slow We use Linux as a thin client and use Terminal Services Clients to find the users Windows Virtual on our Hyper-V Server.

Routers, Switches, and most Firewalls are run off Linux as well.

The most prominent use of Linux in business is the Apache, MySQL Web servers.

Though many people use Linux alot in business and me being pretty much the Linux admin of all our Linux solutions, I do not think (at the current time) you will be able to get away with not having a few windows servers.

Good Luck hope i helped a little.

EDIT:

People talk about unmanegibility of Linux in such environments due to lack of active directory.

This is not necessarily true... It doesnt take a top of the line server to run active directory. We have an 8 year old IBM Server Running Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP (is about to be replaced since its so old.) and thats all it does. you could get a Cheap windows Server run all 3 of those, then setup your users. Next put all your linux machines on the domain and thats it, now you can login to your Active Directory Users. Only 2 downfalls that come to mind are I do not think you can have roaming profiles with Linux. So everything in stored on the local machine and not the server (if your into that kinda thing). And 2 is I do not think you can block off Directories with Active Directory if running on a linux workstation. So all your users will have full rights to see and save to all the directories on the local machine (could be wrong about that).

Last edited:
This is not necessarily true... It doesnt take a top of the line server to run active directory. We have an 8 year old IBM Server Running Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP (is about to be replaced since its so old.) and thats all it does. you could get a Cheap windows Server run all 3 of those, then setup your users. Next put all your linux machines on the domain and thats it, now you can login to your Active Directory Users. Only 2 downfalls that come to mind are I do not think you can have roaming profiles with Linux. So everything in stored on the local machine and not the server (if your into that kinda thing). And 2 is I do not think you can block off Directories with Active Directory if running on a linux workstation. So all your users will have full rights to see and save to all the directories on the local machine (could be wrong about that).

To this point I would just say that there are products such as LikeWise and Centrify which really shove AD down the throat of Linux. Although LDAP is a good stand in unless there is something you for sure can't live without in AD

WOW very nice find!! If "Weta Digital" uses Ubuntu then there is a huge list of blockbusters they helped with on their site here http://www.wetafx.co.nz/features/

Names like, Avatar, X-Men, District 9, LORD OF THE RINGS!!!, and The Fantastic Four! WOW! Go Linux!

I just now found confirmation that the "Internet Archive" uses Linux.
http://www.archive.org/about/using.php

Their servers hold an un-imaginable amount of data, I would guess in the hundreds of petabytes.

EDIT:

And 2 is I do not think you can block off Directories with Active Directory if running on a linux workstation. So all your users will have full rights to see and save to all the directories on the local machine (could be wrong about that).

I thought I should add that from what I have noticed hosting websites on Ubuntu, there is a lot you can do with file permissions.. Depending on how files are "chown'ed" you can limit what users can see or edit. ;) And that does not apply to just website files.

Last edited:
I thought I should add that from what I have noticed hosting websites on Ubuntu, there is a lot you can do with file permissions.. Depending on how files are "chown'ed" you can limit what users can see or edit. ;) And that does not apply to just website files.

+1 on this. I have a storage drive shared but I removed rights to everything except the owner. Windows people get an access denied error trying to get into it in any way

I just now found confirmation that the "Internet Archive" uses Linux.
http://www.archive.org/about/using.php

Their servers hold an un-imaginable amount of data, I would guess in the hundreds of petabytes.

EDIT:

Thats nifty ill have to look more into that! Im still i guess what you would call a linux nooblet lol. I knew enough to get it put into the company i work for, but thats all simple stuff anyways ha

There are a lot of Java based business apps like think point of sale programs and inventory management that Linux would be a perfect base for.

Back