• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Problems since I installed my SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pomop

Registered
Hey guys, so I recently got a new SSD and installed drivers and win 7 on it. While playing FFXIV, (only time it's occured) my screen will have horrizontal lines as if the CPU overclock was too high and it crashes. It's happened twice so far.

Also when I set it to either RAID or AHCI, I will get a BSOD when I boot to windows. I am running my 60 gb Vertex 3 as my drive 1 and my 500ish gb HDD in drive 2. My mobo is M4a79t if that matters.

Also I know my clocks are stable, at least they were on my HDD. If you need any other info, just let me know. This is getting really annoying. :(

Last edited:
Not sure about the problem your having with the horizontal lines, to change from IDE to AHCI you have to follow this link or this link (same method different wording).

Last edited:
As far as AHCI goes, if it wasn't enabled when you loaded windows on the drive you can't just switch to it, without changing a couple reg settings. Graphical artifacts sound like video card issues.. Do you have the proper Intel SSD drivers installed, besides just mobo chipset? Any OC on the video card?

It's not the video card, it wasn't artifacting. It was just the monitor having horizontal lines and then going blank, which is what happens when my processor was overclocked. (It worked stable at this speed for a month on my old HDD then I put in this SSD)

What does AHCI do exactly? Is my problem because I didn't set AHCI?

edit - my processor is also AMD, Where do I get SSD drivers? Do I get them from OCZ or from a different site?

edit 2 - I did that regedit thing and it worked, ty sir. I don't know if it fixed the problem though, only time will tell. :eek:

Last edited:
It's not the video card, it wasn't artifacting. It was just the monitor having horizontal lines and then going blank, which is what happens when my processor was overclocked. (It worked stable at this speed for a month on my old HDD then I put in this SSD)

What does AHCI do exactly? Is my problem because I didn't set AHCI?

edit - my processor is also AMD, Where do I get SSD drivers? Do I get them from OCZ or from a different site?

edit 2 - I did that regedit thing and it worked, ty sir. I don't know if it fixed the problem though, only time will tell. :eek:

The MS driver that was enabled in reguistry is the SSD driver. AMD also has an AHCI driver here that installs in windows, it performs better than the MS one but I am unsure that it supports all of the AHCI functions. It can be installed and uninstalled in Windows without without issue now that the default MS driver has been enabled.
AHCI is short for Advanced Control Host Interface and supports advanced NCQ, trim, hotpluging and other functions that were previously limited to servers or SCSI devices. It would be more uncommon for it not to act weird when trying to boot without proper drivers, so yes your issue is fixed.

The MS driver that was enabled in reguistry is the SSD driver. AMD also has an AHCI driver here that installs in windows, it performs better than the MS one but I am unsure that it supports all of the AHCI functions. It can be installed and uninstalled in Windows without without issue now that the default MS driver has been enabled.
AHCI is short for Advanced Control Host Interface and supports advanced NCQ, trim, hotpluging and other functions that were previously limited to servers or SCSI devices. It would be more uncommon for it not to act weird when trying to boot without proper drivers, so yes your issue is fixed.

Thank you very much sir, and to everyone in the thread. :D

Back