• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low Budget WoW Rig for GF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

A very long story short, I need to build a computer for my girlfriend to play WoW with me. We have a $500 budget, with very little wiggle room. The problem, I haven't been in the hardware scene for a while ... but that might be a benefit.

I'm completely open to any, and all suggestions. I'm not concerned with overclocking or hardcore cooling. I need a reliable system that can run wow with good looking graphics without lag or frame rate issues.

We have peripherals covered, just need the good stuff.

Please spend my money :)

wowww I was sitting here wondering how this price point could be met and still play on medium-high graphics... props to you knufire excellent work.

fusionbuild.jpg

There are various combo deals going on with the fusion series right now that would knock the price down atleast another 15-30 depending on what you went with.

I was skeptical about the 6670s power but we got ours the other day and test running it with my am3 deneb system right now it pulls 60+ fps on high detail @ 720p in starcraft 2. The fusion system has an additional 400 gpu cores VIA the A8 APU.

$70 in MIRs.

^+1

Nice known values here. Nobody I know of has checked out Llano+66xx enough in gaming. I've seen videos where the performance looks very promising. I think on the compute side you'll get better performance out of SB. The GTX460 is very competent. Don't forget an optical drive.

Not saying that the 460 is a bad card by any means. I have 2 1gb 460s myself. Just putting out an additional option to consider.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

A much better bet would be to buy her a laptop like a gateway p6831fx that can play it on all ultra settings.

A much better bet would be to buy her a laptop like a gateway p6831fx that can play it on all ultra settings.

Guessing this was a joke? Right :shrug:

Both the above builds are great. I would always go with an nVidia GPU, but thats just me. I havn't touched Ati since the 9xxx days due to driver issues. And I still hear plenty of complaints about Ati's drivers.

^+1

Nice known values here. Nobody I know of has checked out Llano+66xx enough in gaming. I've seen videos where the performance looks very promising. I think on the compute side you'll get better performance out of SB. The GTX460 is very competent. Don't forget an optical drive.

he said to play wow though... ive never played it but i know it came out a long arse time ago... couldnt he get by with buying an 8800gt?

When you're that badly coded you need all the horsepower you can get. WoW tortures your CPU with all the network connections too. It's better to use a dedicated quality NIC solution like a Bigfoot killer.

he said to play wow though... ive never played it but i know it came out a long arse time ago... couldnt he get by with buying an 8800gt?

Yes it is an older game, yes an 8800 will play it. No that is not a recomendation.

Each expansion pack has included graphical improvments to client.

Back