• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My i7 920 running hotter than usual?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

I have a TRUE HSF on my Core i7 920 with a EX58-UD3R. I turned off Turbo and all the Power Savings and my Vcore is 1.3 with RAM Voltage at 1.64. I turned turning up BCLCK to 165 with a 21x multiplier and I'm hitting 84-85c Celsius on prime.

Yesterday I got the 600T Corsair case and my cables are very neatly managed so it's not a case problem with airflow being blocked. I cleaned out all the dust as I transferred my gear from my Antec 900 to the new Corsair 600T. I have the 120mm blowing air out the back and on the top and the 200mm blowing air in.

As I transferred the gear, I also re-applied AS5 and re-seated my HSF.

Any ideas on what I can try? Seems to be really hot for running such a low overclock. If I put my settings back down to normal with the voltage staying the same, I drop more than 10 degrees Celsius. Running idle I am at about 40c without an overclock.

Sounds like a bad mount. Did you clean the old AS5 off thoroughly? Regardless I'd re do it.

AS5 isn't very good btw. It's old. MX2/3/4 are better. Shin Etsu is better than that, and Indigo Extreme is even better.

Maybe I'll get some new stuff. I haven't overclocked in about 4 years so I still have my AS5 from a while back and figured I'd use it.

I did clean it up fairly well. I used alcohol swabs to clean off both the Heatsink and the CPU.

Back