• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my PSU be faulty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voyager2377

First off, Hi everyone, this is my first forum post ever so PLEASE forgive me if I've posted incorrectly.

Next... my system specs

Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3 GHz 6MB
Graphics: Asus Graphics ATI HD 6850 Direct CU 1GB DDR5
Ram: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Plus other bits of hardware.

Now my problem...
I sadly have a Win+Power 850Watt PSU, it is just a cheap temp... I plan on getting this one very soon Adata HM series 850W 80 plus Bronze PSU.

When I turned my computer on earlier, from what sounded like the HDD came a weird sound, it sounded like the HDD suddenly grew a jet engine and windows (Win7 64bit) took about 5 mins to load to desktop, normally it would only take about <20 seconds. So thinking the HDD was beginning to fail, I shut the sytem off, opened the case, disconnected the fans and restarted.

All seemed fine, so 1 by 1 I reconnected the fans, everything still fine. So once again I shut down the system. Rebooted one again, got the sound from the HDD again but only very mild and for just a quick second and windows started as normal <20 seconds.

Thinking that my HDD was failing, I resounded myself to copying everything over to my external HDD, during this process windows shut off Aero for about 1min and then it came back, so I thought I would have a quick check in device manager, where I discovered that the drive letters to my multi card reader which connects directly to the mobo via a USB header all had caution signs next to them, making the card reader unrecognised.

After I had finished copying everything, I shut down comletely, waited about 1-2mins and powered back onn, everything was fine and still is while I'm typing this information.

I now believe the fault could be the PSU... this will hopefully be changed in about a week.

If anyone has any other ideas PLEASE post back to me.

Thank you

the sound sounds more like what i get when i leave the CD in and forgot it was there.

the HDD has a stepper motor, and speed control even if you threw 24volts into it, the rate should be the same, before it burned up.

speed controlled fans will Race up to max speeds on booting and hard work, but then cool out when there is little work
a GPU fan could go into super screamer mode , when the computer is booted or when it goes into work.
even newer PSUs have thermal fan controlling now.

soo, there are so many other things that can sound like a HDD going fast spin, but the hdd doing a fast spin is least likely to occur?
that part is just so confusing.

Last edited:
Back