• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows won't ask for wireless password??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coolydudey60

Registered
This being one of the techier communities existing (techiest i have an account on, apart from the backtrack forums), i pose a question after googling and any form of common sense have disobeyed me.
When i try to connect to this wireless network (the encryption is wpa2, that which is actually recognized by windows) it just tries to connect to the network without prompting me for a password (i've never actually entered one). After 30 seconds it realizes that it is actually unable to connect (there doesn't seem to be a properties pane for the networks either). :bang head
the most annoying part is that for another network in the area (again, wpa2 encryption), it actually prompts me for a password (i don't have that one).
?!?
?!?!?!?!!
:facepalm:
any help here? (there are some google results with the same question, but no answers)
thanks a ton guys, appreciate it (as i did the advice on overclocking my ram)

I wouldn't worry about this for a while, some fresh info has come in.
Any more updates will be edited in here (maybe in 10 minutes, otherwise never).
edit: ok, the security was actually WEP, and detected by windows as wpa2 that time. It's got the fact that it's WEP though. Still refuses to prompt me for a password, this is really weird

Last edited:
I would try going into the 'Network and Sharing Center'. Click on the Wifi signal strength meter in your taskbar, and there should be a link to the network center.

In Network and Sharing Center, on the top left select: Manage Wireless Networks.

In 'Manage Wireless Networks' you can either add the info manually, or edit whatever has been saved.

Back