• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distributed computing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I've been thinking about trying to earn a bit of money using my computers resources, and I've tried using Bitcoin. A mate of mine has recently started using Gomez http://www.gomezpeerzone.com/Program.aspx

Are there any other similar apps around that I could make money off that way? I don't expect to get rich, I'd just like a little bit of extra cash on the side with minimal effort from me if that's possible.

With as volatile as the market is, Bitcoin isn't worth it. I've been following it since the price shot up and it has been a joke since. If you would be doing it for fun (i.e. you don't care if you would lose money), then go ahead.

From what I've gathered, if you got into bitcoin mining a year ago, you might have made some money. But at this point, it's all but just about worthless, unless you have pile of AMD/ATI cards sitting around. I looked at that Gomez page, the max you can get is $45 per month, which I'm sure wouldn't even cover the extra on the power bill from your computer sucking down power constantly.

is it just me or does this sound like a net mafia :)

Using the combined computing horsepower of thousands of PCs around the world, Gomez can measure, for the first time, the real-world performance of Web sites — from the end-user's perspective. The data collected by you will be used by Gomez's customers to improve the performance of their Web sites — eventually improving the online experience for us all.

I shall do my version of a Parody of that statement.

We take a bunch of willing zombie computers, assault a few web sites, then sell them our services of improving thier websites , should it ever have this many users bleeding it dry.
because our own computers would be blocked from such attacks, were willing to pay you to help us in these efforts.
after we get done with them, thier web site will be able to handle a good quality net assault without any effort, making the web a better place for us all.

please do not read the TOS, and just accept our money, or you might also realise , what a relay is, how to find a computer to do spam, and how to set up an offshore money laundering operation :)

"By accepting these Terms, you agree to allow Gomez to use your account e-mail address" . . . . to send money to you

if we dont make money, you dont make money. if you want to change anything you Cant, if we want to change anything we can, and you already signed on the dotted line.

again Parody , dont shoot me

Last edited:
Me and a mate of mine have tried Gomez and it uses a :censored::censored::censored::censored:load of internet traffic. In other words, the amount of money we could earn from Gomez is only a small fraction of the traffic cost we would have to pay!

Although a mate of mine has a bunch of fairly modern Xeons at his work, and since he doesn't have to pay for power he wants to run something CPU intensive that he could make money from. Any ideas?

So, he wants to make money off computers that aren't his, an electric bill that isn't his and an internet connection that isn't his? That sounds an awfully lot like stealing.

Sorry, can't help you there.

I agree with Thidy.

If you want to use my systems for gain, you spread the money around for more than just covering my energy costs. This equipment don't grow on trees and I have the bills to prove it.

It would be the same as asking me to drive my own car for work and just paying me for gas and not wear and tear. Plus you should own the equipment in the first place.

Back