• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE1394 or USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benny428

Hey Guys,
I was looking for a webcam, and I noticed that some of the inputs on some were IE1394 (FireWire). Is there a benefit using FireWire over USB, or does it not really matter?

Not really any real difference from an end user perspective....
Just go with whatever CAM is the cheapest one to suit your needs.

Theroretically Firewire is faster than USB 2.0 but in the RealWorld USB connections are far more practical now that they have become so much more widespread.

As far as a webcam is concerned the only difference is the size of the wire. (Firewire tends to be slightly thicker and has a slightly larger connector..

Personally I'd stick with a USB webcam to leave my options open for using it with other devices. (PlayStation, XBOX, Laptops, other Computers etc...)

Last edited:
+1 Not really a huge difference unless you are going to be doing multi video conferencing calls across the Atlantic ocean. Then a high resolution web cam and some expensive fire-wire will come into play but that is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

+1 Not really a huge difference unless you are going to be doing multi video conferencing calls across the Atlantic ocean. Then a high resolution web cam and some expensive fire-wire will come into play but that is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Not really a factor since your limiting technology there becomes the internet.

Back