• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compn00b101

Registered
I have a FSP Group AX500-A 500W ATX12V Power Supply in my comp.

I want to do a Motherboard-cpu-memory upgrade.

Can I run a "phenom ll x6" or "phenom ll x4" off this PSU? I'm going to stay with the ATX type mother board. Also I'm just going to be running 1 Video Card.

Thanks for any help i can get!

Last edited:
I have a FSP Group AX500-A 500W ATX12V Power Supply in my comp.

I want to do a Motherboard-cpu-memory upgrade.

Can I run a "phenom ll x6" or "phenom ll x4" off this PSU? I'm going to stay with the ATX type mother board. Also I'm just going to be running 1 Video Card.

Thanks for any help i can get!

You should be fine. What video card? Keep in mind that Fortron is getting a little long in the tooth and they don't have the greatest reputation but 500W is more than enough. By comparison your upgrade is about the same for power draw overall.

You should be fine. What video card? Keep in mind that Fortron is getting a little long in the tooth and they don't have the greatest reputation but 500W is more than enough. By comparison your upgrade is about the same for power draw overall.

Hey thx RT! I have a Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express atm. I will eventually upgrade this as well. When I do, is there anything I should watch out for?

Psu will take your current upgrade but with a new card you would be looking for a new psu. Buy the psu with the current upgrade or with the new card, will not matter. Remember the psu is the most important part of the pc (to me)

Hey thx RT! I have a Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express atm. I will eventually upgrade this as well. When I do, is there anything I should watch out for?

That may depend on what you upgrade to from the 4830. Just keep in mind what I said about your power supply, it's getting old and may not be putting out peak capacity anymore. Some of the big new cards may require connectors you don't have so buy accordingly if you're going to keep the Fortron.

cool cool. good looking out. thx guys!

Back