• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sniper Reactor Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznguile972

Registered
I figured I'd start my own journey of water cooling here in this log vs creating a new one every time.

All the parts came from a Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Plus w/Apogee GTZ kit I found on sale for ~$160.00.

Here's some pics of my first watercooling attempt in the Sniper case.

Attachments

• First Leak Test.JPG
    First Leak Test.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 280
  • First Build 1.JPG
    First Build 1.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 259
Looks good man, for your first build, dang! Looks solid, and I'm liking the kink-protectors on your loop-tubes. Solid work bro! Post some more pictures of your upgrades/additions please -_-

Recently, I bought a new video card (570GTX SC) and realized that water cooling the 250GTS is now causing me to redo the loop. (PS. Should have listened to the folks here)

Since I have to redo the loop anyways, decided to upgrade to Bitspower compression fittings, colored tubing (1/2ID 3/4OD) vs SwifTech HydrX dye, plain distilled water and Silver Killcoil. I'd like to thank the guy I met at MicroCenter for pushing me in that direction.

Changed my radiator exhaust pull fans to intake fans in push configuration. Also, I added a UV blue intake fan underneath. Not sure if I created a vortex of hot air this way...

Only problem with my new setup is, I don't have space to install my HyperX Memory Cooler. Oh well, maybe I will fix that on my next teardown when I upgrade to the 570 block.

Here's some pics of my loop now.

Attachments

• WC Setup 7-17.1.JPG
    WC Setup 7-17.1.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 239
  • WC Setup 7-17.2.JPG
    WC Setup 7-17.2.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 243
Maaaan, I literally just sat here in "awe" for like five minutes! Dang dude, the new pics look even more beautiful than the last, but these pictures are like a series of albums by great bands. Older isn't worse; however, newer is an over-all improvement/differentiation over the older!

Check my rig out. I am completely new to custom/high end PCs, and this is one I bought for 1500CAD about 2-3 months ago, used. Its price was irresistible, this is the main reason I struck then and there. However, I could probably build a beast myself but I need all the sweet pics/advice I can get to see/hear for myself.

Attachments

• 2011-07-18 13.01.13.jpg
    2011-07-18 13.01.13.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 2011-07-18 13.00.50.jpg
    2011-07-18 13.00.50.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 2011-06-11 12.00.18.jpg
    2011-06-11 12.00.18.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Should have left the fans alone. Martin did some work checking on which way fans do better. Slower fans do better in pull, med fans can be push or pull, high speed fans are better in push and/or push/pull.

Looks good though. :thup:

Nice build.. mem coolers are just for show, you don't need it cept for the bling factor!

shorinman said:
Maaaan, I literally just sat here in "awe" for like five minutes! Dang dude, the new pics look even more beautiful than the last, but these pictures are like a series of albums by great bands. Older isn't worse; however, newer is an over-all improvement/differentiation over the older!

Check my rig out. I am completely new to custom/high end PCs, and this is one I bought for 1500CAD about 2-3 months ago, used. Its price was irresistible, this is the main reason I struck then and there. However, I could probably build a beast myself but I need all the sweet pics/advice I can get to see/hear for myself.

Your rig looks good man. That's basically how I got started. Always wanted to watercool, but didn't want to fork out that much money on something so unknown and so risky. But, when I found the deal, I couldn't resist. I sat on the kit for about 2-3 months before I finally broke down and just said F it. :rock:

Nice build.. mem coolers are just for show, you don't need it cept for the bling factor!

They are all show, but sure does look good with them on. :D

Should have left the fans alone. Martin did some work checking on which way fans do better. Slower fans do better in pull, med fans can be push or pull, high speed fans are better in push and/or push/pull.

Looks good though. :thup:

Thanks! I definitely agree. My temps are about a couple of degrees higher than where it used to be. Think I might switch it back to pull and exhaust. Makes for better airflow.

Switched my radiator fans to exhaust out top in pull config last night.

Thinking about getting some upgraded fans. I read that YATE LOONS are a good choice at a great price, Scythe Gentle Typhoon's look really cool, but are there any good one's with LED's?

. . . . but are there any good one's [fans] with LED's?

Basically all major fan manufacturers should have fans with built-in LEDs... sometimes for different sizes (80mm, 120mm, 140mm) you may have to go with a different manufacturer. However, if they're not built into your fan already, I've seen a very useful tutorial on this forum on how to successfully (and very neatly) install your own set of LEDs in a Chassis fan. Let me see if I can dig up for you the link - Oh! Found it.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general-discussion/529361-how-install-leds-fans.html

Cheers

Nevermind! Killer 2100... Sick gaming ethernet bro!

To be honest, I'm not sure I can really tell if there is any improvement in gaming with this Killer. I won it at QuakeCon last year and just put it in about 4 months ago. Recently, I saw how much it cost for a new one. :D

Basically all major fan manufacturers should have fans with built-in LEDs... sometimes for different sizes (80mm, 120mm, 140mm) you may have to go with a different manufacturer. However, if they're not built into your fan already, I've seen a very useful tutorial on this forum on how to successfully (and very neatly) install your own set of LEDs in a Chassis fan. Let me see if I can dig up for you the link - Oh! Found it.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general-discussion/529361-how-install-leds-fans.html

Cheers

Man, I'm not sure I'm good enough to start modding fans. My luck, I'll ruin everything. :bang head

I think I'll try some of the other manufacturers. Didn't want to sacrifice CFM and dB for looks. Guess it's just trial and error when you want to incorporate a bling factor.

Update: Ordered a windowed side panel from Cooler Master last week. Just received it this past Friday.

Not sure why, but the new side panel color is an off-black to gray tone. Sent an e-mail to CM customer service and haven't heard anything back yet. It sucks cuz when you look at it closely, you really notice the color difference.

Attachments

• New Side Panel.JPG
    New Side Panel.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Old Side Panel.JPG
    Old Side Panel.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 143
  • New Side Panel Installed.JPG
    New Side Panel Installed.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 145
Looking at upgrading to a XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir (MCP 655 w/Blue LED).

I am considering watercooling my video card in the near future. Any suggestions on what I should be using?
- Seems like EK has several different kinds and not sure what the differences are (Acetal, Acryllic, Nickel (electroless nickel plated))...

Also, I'm thinking about adding another 140mm radiator where the rear exhasust fan is. Would this loop order work?
XSPC Reservoir --> MCP655 Pump --> 240mm Radiator --> CPU --> NB --> 140mm Radiator --> 570GTX Video Card --> Reservoir

BTW, bought some UV tubes today. Also, in a trade with a friend, I got a brand new Corsair 1050W PSU. Will post some pics of what it looks like with the light and new power supply...

Back