• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hybrid hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

Are they worth the money? i dont want to go all out and spend money on a full ssd, but i noticed there are hybrid drives with both ssd memory and traditional disk spinning hdd platters all in one. if so, what ones would you recommend?

Save your coin for the real deal.

lol alright. whats the best cost effective way to do this? can i get away with a small drive and install windows 7 on it for faster performance overall or does that not help things at all? ive done some research and it appears to just just like an sdcard. im a bit concerned about the limited write erase cycles. ill be gaming on it btw. also wtf is with the drop in performance overtime? from what ive read there is a substantial loss in performance within 30 minutes and full effect of the slowdown is seen at ~50 minutes.

Smallest I would go is 60gb ssd for os and a couple apps. 90+ better.

Not sure what you are reading as far as peformance drops like that. Its simply not true. At all.

Don't worry about write cycles either.

Sounds like whatever.you are readinis a few years old.

Smallest I would go is 60gb ssd for os and a couple apps. 90+ better.

Not sure what you are reading as far as peformance drops like that. Its simply not true. At all.

Don't worry about write cycles either.

Sounds like whatever.you are readinis a few years old.

you seem somewhat bias on hybrid drives. what is your rationale behind avoiding them like the plague?

for hard drives youre supposed to keep at least 10% of the drive empty for optimal performance... is the same true for ssd?

They're not worth the cost.

A lot of the issues with SSD's are resolved with the new ones.

And with the whole concept of hybrid drives, Intel has a new feature with their Z68 chipset that basically makes a hybrid drive in software, using a normal SSD and hard drive. It works MUCH better then hybrid drives. And if your thinking "why would I shell out for an SSD and use this if using the SSD like normal is faster", it's because the feature is optimized for cheap/small/used/old SSD's.

I have a 60GB with just Windows and Office, about half free. You know the feeling of a brand new install, everything opens on the dot and such? It feels faster then that, and never goes away.

I have one of those seagates in my laptop. Went with a 320 because the 500s were having failure and noise issues. It's nice for a spinner but not much faster than a standard 7200 on boot and load times.

Save up and get the real deal.

I use a 80gig OCZ vertex 2 for windows and a few games. then a 1tb drive for all my music, movies and the rest of my games. After 5 months with a SSD I will NEVER go back to windows being on a HDD drive. the performance with the SSD is just down right awesome. Virus scans take minutes and not hours, program updates are super fast. Win 7 boots super fast. so it's worth it to do a SSD+Hdd

I use a 80gig OCZ vertex 2 for windows and a few games. then a 1tb drive for all my music, movies and the rest of my games. After 5 months with a SSD I will NEVER go back to windows being on a HDD drive. the performance with the SSD is just down right awesome. Virus scans take minutes and not hours, program updates are super fast. Win 7 boots super fast. so it's worth it to do a SSD+Hdd

if my graphics card starts working normally im definitely going to get a 60-100 gb ssd. i fricken hate loadtimes on gta 4 and left 4 dead 2.

Back