• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking For Tool To Permenatly Delete Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

Hey all, I'm looking for a program that permanently deletes files. As you know, when you empty your recycle bin, they're not really gone, it's not until the computer needs that space that it's re-written. Even then it can still be retrieved sometimes. What I'm looking for is a program, ideally that could just attach to my recycle bin, that when I deleted something it wrote over the information like 5 or 10 times. I was looking at Eraser, but I didn't know if it was a solid program, or if there was a better one out there. Anyone using anything or used anything they can comment about?

I used to use DBAN in xp, but I haven't seen it updated for win7 I don't think.

I've been using the same Heidi Eraser you linked there for a while now.. so far so good.. though I never really tried to retrieve deleted files.

I know Norton used to have a secure erase utility too, but it wasn't free.

I also believe that BCWipe uses the DoD/DoE standards to delete a file, which should be good enough by far for any home use :p

fastcopy has a delete feature that will do a wipe, i dont know how to use it yet, but if you wanted to make a unrecoverable accidental delete in massive quantity fast :) itll probably do it.
of course depending on whos looking, there are traces of all activity all over the computer, from rescents, to index files, and folder location mrus cookies, histroy more indexes, thumbs, both files , hidden files, ans registry, the windows system in a virtual storehouse of user activity.

Last edited:
Well I'll give Eraser a shot, then I'll check Encase and see if I can see the file. Report back my findings.

Well I'll give Eraser a shot, then I'll check Encase and see if I can see the file. Report back my findings.

Eraser works well, but I'm not sure it actually works on SSDs since those remap writes without telling you.

Eraser works well, but I'm not sure it actually works on SSDs since those remap writes without telling you.
wouldnt you not want to do it on an ssd anyway do to the limited rewrite durability (as opposed to hdds) or whatnot...idunno maybe im wrong, ssd's are still new-fangled technology to me

I use CCleaner's Disk Wipe utility - you can wipe the free space only w/o deleting all disk contents, supports DoD/NSA and Guttman overwrite methods.

Freeraser will give you a trashcan icon on your desktop and you just drag and drop and it does the rest. That's what I use atm but also peazip has a send to shortcut that also does this. Peazip and freeraser are both portable and with peazip all you do is put the included send to command in your send to folder as a copy and you are good to go. Those are the easiest I've found so far.
http://www.freeraser.com/
http://www.peazip.org/
I normally use the regular trashcan but on occasion permanent deletion is exactly what I want. Wipe free disk space I don't mess with and bleachbit, without fail, will work for a day or two and then not at all. Can't trust it plus it now uses the exact same winapp2.ini file that cc does. CC is pretty much straight up JUNK imo. I use xleaner atm for simple tmp files and whatnot. And just as a matter of hand I never let the tmp cleaners update or connect.

Last edited:
Back