• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus IV Gene-Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninjavampire

Registered
I'm building my first rig and I was looking at this motherboard on a website. At first glance I thought it looked awesome, but then I saw that it wasn't an ATX board, it was a micro ATX one.

My question is, would this motherboard work for my first build and provide enough features to keep me save for the next few years, or would I be better off buying a normal ATX board like the Asus P8Z68-V Pro or the Gigabyte Z68x-UD3H-B3? They are all around the same price.

I will be using the motherboard with an i5/i7 processor, GTX 570 Sli and probably using the Corsair H80 CPU cooler. My computer will be used for gaming, general internet stuff, editing photos/videos/music and watching movies.

It seems to have everything but a lot of PCIe slots. It has two PCIe x16 slots (dual @ x8/x8) for SLI/CFX and a PCIe x4 slot. The PCIe x4 can't be accessed when SLI.CFX dual slot cards.

i was wondering the same thing actually, I'm not sure what the pro board offers except for that extra PCIe slot which I won't be using in a sli setup

right now i'm leaning toward the Maximus because of price point and i'm not sure what the extra 30$ is going to give me in the Pro board

The only thing I could think of would be the igpu which could help improve movie encoding? not sure if that would justify the extra 30 bucks for you

Last edited:
It seems to have everything but a lot of PCIe slots. It has two PCIe x16 slots (dual @ x8/x8) for SLI/CFX and a PCIe x4 slot. The PCIe x4 can't be accessed when SLI.CFX dual slot cards.

So what kind of disadvantages would that leave you with?

Back