• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which 1000w psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nasty Nige

Registered
Hi
having done some reading on this i start to see its horses for courses on this subject.
Im looking for a psu which will run 3 way sli so need 6 pcie slots and enough sata & 4 pins to run 4hdds 2ssd 1dvd etc not forgetting fans (also I7 950 12gb rams water cooled cpu with 2 120mm high performace fans off the mobo)
Ive run the eXtreme psu calc for my rig & allowed for the upgrade of the gpus
& longevity & it come in at 798w min 817w recomended - now 850w sounds a bit tight esp if I went three way sli which could hgappen say 2 years time as it would be a cost effective upgrade the way things are going.
Checked what the "sticky" said & narrowed it down to 2 ocz & Cooler Master, but reviews on these were not too hot
so suggestions please - 3 way sli & good number of periferal connections please.:-/

Does the 250 even run 3 way SLI? I dont think it does...

Why 3 way SLI? Are you on a multi monitor setup or one at 2560x1600? Otherwise, I would personally scrap your bbudget 250's and get a single card.

That said, to power 3 250's, Im certain a QUALITY 850W PSU, like Corsair would easily do it. Those cards only draw like 150W each.

Are you referring to the GPU's in your sig (Nvidia GS250 * 2(SLI)?

IF they could run tri-SLI that board may not be available in two years and as Earthdog stated, one high-end card would be more prudent.

yehh the 250s were only a temp solution to a major h/w problem while ago & they were laying around from a previous dfi build I had few years back it was a distressed/desperate stuff em in for the time being move at the time now its time to move them on.

- just noticed as well I over statred the current psu its only 750 NOT 850 and nearly 4 years old now

the gpu thing is was what started me looking at the psu - the gtx460 look good and currently 2 * 1gb cost less than a 2gb single card but it would mean a new psu, a single vcard makes sence as it deals with the gts250s agreed. & what i spend on new gpu & psu coiuld easily go on a really nice single card....

yehh the 250s were only a temp solution to a major h/w problem while ago & they were laying around from a previous dfi build I had few years back it was a distressed/desperate stuff em in for the time being move at the time now its time to move them on.

- just noticed as well I over statred the current psu its only 750 NOT 850 and nearly 4 years old now

the gpu thing is was what started me looking at the psu - the gtx460 look good and currently 2 * 1gb cost less than a 2gb single card but it would mean a new psu, a single vcard makes sence as it deals with the gts250s agreed. & what i spend on new gpu & psu coiuld easily go on a really nice single card....

Anandtech claims the GS250's are only rebadged 9800GT's, hardly power hungry GPU's (~110w). Many here like the GTX570 - GTX580 series of cards as a good single one over lesser SLI cards.

Back