• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Success! (and slight problem)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damaged_1

Registered
Well, my new Phenom II 560 X2 Black unlocked to an X4 as pretty as you please...I even set the OC funtions in my MSI board to "Auto", and the 4 cores report in Windows as running just shy of 3.8 MHz. Not too shabby methinks for no timkering at all.

:thup:

BUT...one problem...neither the AMD util that came with the board nor Core Temp will show the temp...board is the MSI 880G-E45 (Win XP)

Thoughts?

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 105
Damaged_1 said:
neither the AMD util that came with the board nor Core Temp will show the temp

That is correct. If you read the AMD white papers and now other posts as well...when an AMD cpu is 'core unlocked' the core readings are no longer readable. Only something "probe" like on an Asus board which reads something like cpu temp and it is not the real temp, can tell cpu temp at all.

That is correct. If you read the AMD white papers and now other posts as well...when an AMD cpu is 'core unlocked' the core readings are no longer readable. Only something "probe" like on an Asus board which reads something like cpu temp and it is not the real temp, can tell cpu temp at all.

That's a bust. The only way you can see the temp is probably with a external temperature probe.

Just discovered the same...when I disable ACC, I get core temps in XP but only two cores.

interesting...so my choices are:

- stay with 2 cores and push them with temps
- OC with 4 cores and no temp readings
- get some sort of external probe

That sucks...especially when the BIOS still pics up the core temp corectly. Is there no way to tap into the BIOS reading on these?

Also (wondering out loud)...would I be better of dropping to 2 cores and pushing them harder with the benefit of core temp readings?

Just discovered something...the MSI "Overclocking Center" utility that came on the MoBo driver disk will still read the CPU core temp with ACC on. Also minimizes to systray...

Pretty handy

Whilst you don't have core temp visible when acc is turned on, you should still have cpu temp. What i and many people have been doing is run the cpu as an x2 with acc off and noting down the differences in cpu temp to core temp when increasing the v-core and cpu speed, ok yes you are only running 2 cores and its based on extrapolating.
In my experience and findings, whatever my cpu temp is i know my cores are roughly 8-12 degrees cooler.

Thanks davedree...

Do you know of a utility that will display cpu temp in the systray liek motherboard monitor used to? Core Temp only seems to show just that, not cpu temp...

And the MSI Overclocking Center messed up my BIOS settings, so still looking for a simple readout of CPU temp.

to be honest i've never needed my temps to be shown on systray so wouldn't know, i just use hwmonitor as it logs current minimum and max for temps voltages and fan speeds etc.

just curious what is the model of your msi board wondering what chipset it has?

ignore i just missed it up the top there ok kewl

be careful with your vrms on that board, make sure thy dont get too hot when pushing the cpu v-core or memory.

Thanks davedree...

Do you know of a utility that will display cpu temp in the systray liek motherboard monitor used to? Core Temp only seems to show just that, not cpu temp...

And the MSI Overclocking Center messed up my BIOS settings, so still looking for a simple readout of CPU temp.

Speedfan will do this but you have to do a little stress testing sometimes to figure out which of the temps displayed is actually the CPU temp because it may not be labeled that way. It will be the one that rises the quickest that is not the core temp. Then you can relabel it as necessary and then configure Speedfan so as to show which temp you want it to display in the sys tray. Just poke around in it and check the box for the one your want.

Back