• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dg170775

Registered
All,

I have the ASUS P7H55-M motherboard, and hence am limited to USB2.0 and SATA 3Gb/s.

Is there anyway I can introduce USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s support, maybe by adding a PCI card, or something like that. I'm sorry, if the question is stupid, as I'm not too good in this area.

Basically, is there anyway to achieve support for USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s, with my current motherboard, or only option is to change the motherboard?

Thanks.

As long as you treat this daughter card as a USB 3.0 only card, or are lucky enough to have one of the handful of Asus approved motherboards, the Asus U3S6 combo SATA 6 & USB 3.0 Card is highly recommended.

That last part about drives cannot be attached to both the Asus add-in card and the motherboard or the system will fail to boot is a pretty large caveat in practice, I would think.

Sorry, what is GFX configuration?

If you are using a video card you can't use the card.

Another thing is PCIe lane sharing. Depending on your current setup you may see little or absolutely no benefit from the add in cards to a performance loss across the board.

Sure you may bench higher speeds but when in operation this may not hold true. My suggestion would be (if you are using integrated graphics [GFX]) disable the on board SATA controller and buy a combo card but if you wish to keep the onboard SATA controller and the x16 slot just get one card in x1; either SATA 3 or USB 3.

ok, I have now decided to invest a little and upgrade my MOBO to the ASUS P7H55-M/USB3, which has both USB3.0 and SATA-III support.

That way I also get the benefit of a few additional PCI-e slots (future potential).

Back