Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > nVidia GPUs
nVidia GPUs
Forum Jump

Very strange GFX crashes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 01:45 PM Thread Starter   #1
Az00123

Very strange GFX crashes

Hi, I've been having this problem for a few days now. The first few times I put some load on my PC (such as running a game, furmark etc) each day I will get a graphical crash within about 20 seconds. After about 3-4 crashes it will be fine and I can run any game/furmark burn in test without any problems whatsoever.
I'm currently using a Q6600 @ 3ghz and a gtx280 (stock), I've tried downclocking the cpu back to 2.4ghz and the problem still persisted.
Below are some pictures of the crashes (all when playing a game, when it crashes in furmark i get a block of single colour on my screen)

The 3rd picture is interesting as its from TF2 and on the right I can still make out the same lines that were there before the crash.

Abit Ip35 Dark Raider | Intel Q6600 | TRUE + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F + Mx-2 | 8GB (4x2gb G.skill PC2-6400) | Seagate 7200.11 320GB | BFG 9800GX2 | Corsair Hx620 | Samsung SM245B | CM Stacker 831 w/ Red Mesh | Vista 64-bit Home Premium | Sennheiser HD555

Steam User : Az00123
Az00123 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-11, 01:57 PM   #2
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3

That looks like severe video card memory failure. First thing I would do is remove it from the board, use compressed air to clean the card thoroughly along with the PCI-e connector. If that didn't help, I would try a clean install of the OS and new drivers. If you have another power supply (or another computer to try it in), it is worth a shot.

Last ditch effort is to bake it. Baking just prolongs its life, so think about getting something else.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-11, 03:10 PM   #3
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

Almost sounds like a temp issue if it doesnt happen immediately.. what temps are you reaching before it gets wonky?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-25-11, 07:41 AM Thread Starter   #4
Az00123

I took the gfx card out and dusted it and the pcie slot, everything seems to be working fine right now.
Thanks for your help.

Abit Ip35 Dark Raider | Intel Q6600 | TRUE + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F + Mx-2 | 8GB (4x2gb G.skill PC2-6400) | Seagate 7200.11 320GB | BFG 9800GX2 | Corsair Hx620 | Samsung SM245B | CM Stacker 831 w/ Red Mesh | Vista 64-bit Home Premium | Sennheiser HD555

Old 07-27-11, 07:42 AM Thread Starter   #5
Az00123

Update: Problem still persisted, I've tried formatting and reinstalling OS with new drivers and still no fix. I've just tried opening furmark and it crashed when it got to about 82 degrees, normally though it goes up to about 105 degrees when its fully loaded on furmark (these are the numbers which furmark gives me though and i don't know whether or not they accurate)
It just seems to be a hit and miss when I boot as to whether the gfx card will crash or not when I put some load on it.

Old 07-27-11, 08:42 AM   #6
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

You reached 105C a lot when testing? You cooked the card likely. Time to buy another.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-06-11, 08:06 PM   #7
PhIlLy ChEeSe

Are you using anything to cool the card, like MSI Afterburner? It may help, What OS are you running and what drivers are you using? Do the drivers install with out a hitch? You may try redoing the TIM on that card as it has been stated its getting too hot.

Old 08-07-11, 03:48 AM   #8
reddragon
Registered

save yourself the time and hassel, get yourself a new video card cuz the one you have is shot, like the one dude said ram on the video card is failing.....
reddragon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-06-11, 04:46 AM   #9
PhIlLy ChEeSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post
save yourself the time and hassel, get yourself a new video card cuz the one you have is shot, like the one dude said ram on the video card is failing.....
So why not try to bake it? Here's a link to the baking thread

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...light=bake+GPU

After all its gone right?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > nVidia GPUs
nVidia GPUs