• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old hard drive from 2003.. compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aar2

Registered
It has a grey ribbon on it, it is a Western Digital WD800 (or WD800PB) it has 80GB Of memory and it connects to some weird ribbon port.. will this be compatible with my motherboard at all?

I just found this in my old computer and I would be SO happy to find these extremely old files and sift through them.

Pictures:

Last edited:
That's called ide interface. If your new mobo has one, u should be able to added the drive. If not, you may be able to find a pci add on card that has an ide port.

Last edited:
That's called ice interface. If your new mobo has one, u should be able to added the drive. If not, you may be able to find a pci add on card that has an ide port.

I hope it does. BRB :shock:

ok i plugged it in, and tried to boot. it just gives me a blue screen of death and sends me back to the motherboard home screen what should I do?

You won't be able to boot from it due to the hardware being different from the last boot. Try doing a windows repair, if that does not work then use it as your secondary drive.

Heh.. you wont be able to boot off it from an old pc likely...try making sure bios is set to ide instead of ahci.

you can use it as a secondary drive however.

if you do not have anything important, on it, boot up from your primary drive, check your motherboard bios to set that correctly. boot into windows and format the drive. then it can be used as a secondary drive. i would highly suggest downloading hd tune and running an error scan for bad sectors...

Thanks for the replies. I actually fixed up my old computer quite a bit, I had a old power supply laying around and replaced the old old computers PSU with that one and it works perfectly, well, it has a 2.80 GHz processor and the CPU usage is always 100% for some reason.. it has some real old anti viruses and I THINK it has a lot of viruses but it's too slow to do anything. what should i do..?

If you want to see the files on the disk there is only one thing to do really, and that is to remove all those viruses. I would get Malwarebytes and Nod32 and scan the hard disk. Hopefully that will remove them.

yeah im gonna try. but everything i do makes it not responding, its so slow xD it has 256 mb ram as well..

put the hard drive in another computer and use that to run an antivrus scan on the hard drive
Do not run any programs from the old drive until you've completely scanned them.

If your PC doesn't have IDE/PATA ports you can get a cheap USB to IDE adapter on Newegg.

:sn: Gonna need to check for grey hairs in a minute after reading the "weird ribbon port" comment in the OP..

:sn: Gonna need to check for grey hairs in a minute after reading the "weird ribbon port" comment in the OP..

He's talking about the ide connector wire, the band type thingys that connect to dvd drives and old ide hdds. :)

You need to hook it up to a computer that is botting off a different hard drive that has an IDE port. You should be able to look through the hard drive that way.

Back