• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Won't See RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GeekInterrupted

Ok i have a very weird problem i can't figure out. Running windows XP Home, AMD sempron computer, Lian-Li IB-01B Raid Controller. I have 4x 2 TB Western Digital drives hooked up to the controller and a 500 GB drive for the opreating system.

I installed the relevant drivers for the RAID controller and it easily detected the 4 drives i have plugged in, i built a RAID 5 array and it all went fine. Problem is windows doesn't recognise the raid, there is no way to access it. Maybe i'm just being very dumb but i can't sort it out.

does it show up in disk management? It will need to be setup as GPT so Windows XP can see it

what is the size of the finished array items?
The Xp32 system will not work with drives over 2T , even though usually a array of more than 2t can still be used for the 1st 2t of it.
a GPT parititoning method is being used to go beyond this 2t limitation
also
making the system see the disk as larger sectors , can be used, this is being done by the controller software.
but then the system will not be presented with the real sector size. Which even gets more complex, when the internals of the drive are mabey 4K sectors, but presented as 512b sectors, then they fudge the numbers and present the system with 1k or 2k sector sizes. Freaking nuts is what it is, something is going to get it wrong (as usual)

confused yet? just think how i feel :) But then wondering how the stupid softwares, will keep all this straight is the real challenge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT_Partition

if you can make 2T arrays , other than the arrys being split on the disk, it will be usable in both systems, without this new thing. something has to give somewhere :)
either way they are complicating the things with ADDED stuff in there to get them to work.
2t MBR arrays are bootable , and acessable via other systems. and many of the raid softwares/bios can set up 2 arrays from one disk set.

unbelieveable that after 4 disk size limitations on the system, that about the 2nd or 3rd time they didnt THEN set this stuff up for the future. its like the Y2K thing :) If the year 3000 comes around and they screwed that up AGAIN , well they arent thinking very far ahead :)

Last edited:
Thanks, i guess i'll have to read up on GPT, try something out and get back to you with the results :)

Back