• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So how hot are you all running your i7's???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spitter3

So how hot are you all running your i7's??? (And Gulftowns)

Trying to figure out my highest ambient temp for an i7 930 out in the garage. Might be adding a gulftown to the stack???

Last edited:
Below 73°C.

That's the cpu temp from the RealTemp program (a free utility I use), not an ambient air temp, though.

I don't like using the garage, because the temps vary too much - and in the Summer, it really can get warm in there. Even with thermal monitoring and shutdown in the BIOS being turned on, it puts a strain on all things electronic, and hastens their time before failure. Yesterday, I was looking at a fan that had a listed MTBF (mean time before failure): 100,000 hours at 30°C. 60,000 hours at 60°C, for example. Not that your garage is going to get to 60C, but it shows the effect of higher temps on electronics.

If you don't have a free good temp monitoring program, (there are a few of them), you might want to look into it. Very handy for overclocking.

2 water cooled, one in the (EDIT high 80's to low 90's) 80's(920)one in the hi 60's(950)
1 2600k low 60's air cooled. All stable.

Using core temp.

Last edited:
Yeah... you must specify the generation/socket.

My LGA1366 CPUs run into the mid 70s... other people are ok up into the mid 80s. I like to keep it under 80C personally.

I imagine LGA1156 CPUs run similar to their gen1/LGA1366 counterparts... but I have no personal experience with those CPUs.

My LGA1155 CPUs run into the high 50s to mid 60s. However, I have marginal chips. One at just 4.2GHz and the other at 4.5GHz. Keeping these chips cool is really no big deal... it's not pushing too many volts. Max spec is 1.35v... some here go a little bit higher and are ok with it. I like to stay under the 1.35v limit.

Below 73°C.

That's the cpu temp from the RealTemp program (a free utility I use), not an ambient air temp, though.

I don't like using the garage, because the temps vary too much - and in the Summer, it really can get warm in there. Even with thermal monitoring and shutdown in the BIOS being turned on, it puts a strain on all things electronic, and hastens their time before failure. Yesterday, I was looking at a fan that had a listed MTBF (mean time before failure): 100,000 hours at 30°C. 60,000 hours at 60°C, for example. Not that your garage is going to get to 60C, but it shows the effect of higher temps on electronics.

If you don't have a free good temp monitoring program, (there are a few of them), you might want to look into it. Very handy for overclocking.

Does Real temp work in Ubuntu??? And not really an argument on using the garage, but it's better than the dog house and the dog would not be able to sleep. 80c is at 105f ambient. Thanks guys!!!

lm-sensors work with Debian(2.6.38-2-amd64) on my socket 1366 board, but not[yet] with my 2600k rig, running 2.6.38-2-amd64.

I am jealous! Wish there was some easy way of setting that up!

Opps almost forgot, Mine runs around 79c ish folding. (at the cores)

Ubuntu needs lm-sensors. Whether they will work or not depends mostly on your board, and it's chipsets and BIOS, and the version of the kernel.

I like folding in Linux, but overclocking was a real pain, since I don't know a lot about Ubuntu. For me the better way to go, was to do the overclocking in Windows, and then let it fold for awhile. After you know it's absolutely stable, then switch it over to Linux if it seemed good to do so.

I am jealous! Wish there was some easy way of setting that up!

Opps almost forgot, Mine runs around 79c ish folding. (at the cores)

There is, goto: systems>administration>synaptic package manager>put in your password>setting>repositories and check the boxes universal and multiuniversal close and reload the manager and close.

then goto:applications>ubuntu software center and type in the search field xsensors and install

Per here the sandy bridge chips work with the coretemp sensors. So just modprobe coretemp and you'll get temps in linux :).

For historic reference I had my E6300 running 70-80C until I watercooled it. The tmax was 95. I also feel as long as your >10 away from the Tmax your fine. Ideally I like to keep it under 60c but with air that isn't doable. Now though I'm at a chil 55C.

Yea, the problem I was having with LMsensors & my 2600k was getting whatever widget (such as Conky or Xsensors) to read the output.

I will check out that thread Shelnutt2 posted though!

There is, goto: systems>administration>synaptic package manager>put in your password>setting>repositories and check the boxes universal and multiuniversal close and reload the manager and close.

then goto:applications>ubuntu software center and type in the search field xsensors and install

I got that far, installing them is easy, configuring them is a PITA.

70C, sometimes upper 80s on my i7 930 @3.5ghz using a cooler master Hyper 212+...

The i7 920 I have hits 3.8ghz on the stock cooler and 80C under load..

930s are just hotter, I guess...

Back