• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does it make this much heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zryder

Registered
Hello everyone.

First post, and I have read as much as I can read, but I have some clarification questions.

First off, I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 1 board, running an i7 930 at stock freqs. I plan to overclock this chip, but haven't yet done so.

I am also running a Sapphire 5850, and plan to crossfire with another as soon as I can find one.

My question is this. According to my bad math, an overclocked 930, 2 stock 5850's, and the mobo should make somewhere about 500w of heat, if all running at the same time. does that sound right?

Consider a worst case scenario of running BOINC apps, using the CPU and GPU about as hard as one would expect them to go.

If that is the case, i am planning on running 2 Swiftech MCR-320-QP's, a Swiftech Apogee XT waterblock, and whatever block I can find for my mb and gpu.

I was thinking about the MCP35x pump, with its built on res.

Any thoughts or oppinions?

Thanks guys.

great, thanks.

the main goal of this is to give myself good temps, while still keeping the system quiet. i haven't yet selected a set of fans, and i am not sure what waterblock to use for my mainboard or my gpu.

however, would it be reasonable to start off with a single 120.3 radiator, running just the cpu and possibly mb for now, adding more water blocks and such later, or would it be better to run the gpu's on their own loop? From what I understand, separate loops are best when the temps of individual units are significantly different in temperature.

by the way, I am looking to shoot twards a 5-8 degree DT, and if at all possible, to make it as quiet as possible.

If you want a 5-8 DT head over to skinneelabs.com and compare rads...

Mobo blocks are no longer needed (your not trying to break records), all they do is add more restriction to loops. a 120.3 is fine for just the CPU but I wouldnt get the GPU Blocks until the 2nd 120.3 is bought.

I have been spending more time at SL than I think is healthy for my marriage lately!

From what I have learned there, the MCR-320-QP is a good balance between cost, cfm, and watt's radiated, so thats why I have initially settled on that rad.

I was not planning on getting the GPU into the loop untill the 2nd rad, though there is currently only 1 GPU, not 2, and its running at stock temps. It seems as if that produces about 150w of heat.

Ok, so based on SL's pages aobut the radiator, I am looking at something in the range of 1000-1400rpm. Anyone have suggestions on fans for that range, preferably with the lowest noise possible?

I am not sure how static pressure plays a role in all this, so suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nice, thanks guys.

I just posted another thread with my idea of a case to hold all this radage, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Back