• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC a core 2 duo from 3ghz to 3.3ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kohit7

Registered
Hi,

I have been trying to overclock my core 2 duo. i have gotten it stable at 3.2 but im wanting to push further to 3.3ghz. Any suggestions?

Fsb:1333 now @1424
vcore now @ 1.35v

my fsb and memory are linked right now too.

This for sure ^^

And while you are at it, check out the guide in my signature for C2D. :)

Welcome!

Just bump the FSB to 366MHz (366 x 9 = 3.3GHz), and leave everything else on Auto except the Vcore. If 1.35V isn't the default VID, which can be read by either Real Temp or Core Temp, then manually lower the Vcore to match the corresponding VID. Then run Prime w/ CPU-Z open to the CPU tab, and if the loaded Vcore drops below what's set in the BIOS, then manually increase the Vcore to compensate for any voltage droop.

Cpu: Intel core 2 duo E8400

Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme

Cooler: Koolance all in one liquid cooling.

My E8500 ran at 1.225 with stock settings according to my bios, I found it would run stable with lesser voltage, for my overclock I used 1.2675.
But these figures are meaningless to you, you have to find out for yourself what you need.

First find out your vcore with cpu-z , stock settings ofcourse. Now you know where to set the vcore in bios when you set the cpu fsb higher.
You could also set 1.30v and set the fsb higher in steps.
I would guess you could do 9x400 at approx 1.3v, could need more, could need less.
You just have to find out for yourself, with the aid of cpu-z, realtemp and prime95.

I just bumped the cpu fsb to 400, set memory strap so it would do 801Mhz (ddr2-6400 mem) left my multi at 9 ( E8500 has 9,5 multi) and started to raise the vcore in small steps. First some noboots, then some crashes while running prime, eventually I found a stable vcore. When I set my multi at max I needed to bump the vcore a little higher.

ps. asus board, the p5qc.

Back