• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

most overclockable midrange 1155 cpu on the market - looking for GHZ, not cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tecton3d

Registered
I'm working on 3d models for architectural visualization using Autodesk Revit, Autodesk AutoCAD, and 3D Studio Max... all of which DO NOT use multiple cores WHILE modeling (though they do for rendering - but that's another thread, and computer). The models I am generating are becoming very large and time consuming to work on. As such, I'm looking to build a machine that will allow for the highest ghz without paying the premium for the highest end of the i7 range...

I will be adequately cooling this cpu with this so keeping things cool won't be an issue ;)

I need at least 12gb of ram and a motherboard that will allow for a generous overclock and afford a lot of stability though I would like to keep motherboard costs to under $200 if possible.

:beer:

If you just want the cheapest, highest overclocking CPU then you'll want the Core i5 2500k. It will do a good 5ghz especially if you get a "lucky" CPU that doesn't need that much voltage.

The XSPC RASA kit will definitely keep it freezing. It's the best value water cooling kit, the only problem is that no one really likes the pump on that unit. It should be fine for a CPU loop only.

I would suggest you going the Core i7 2600k route however. They also go to 5ghz easy but pack a lot more CPU power. You could shave off the $150 for the RASA kit and get a good $40-60 CPU air cooler and still get to 5ghz range fairly easy. The Core i7 2600k is almost as good as the Intel Hexacore's and really should play a good role in your modeling farm.

A Motherboard I'd suggest is the ASRock Z68 or p67 Fatality, MSI GD-80's, ASUS Work Station Revolution is really nice. Most boards $150 and up will give you all the features and overclocking you can desire.

If you don't need the highest end i7 2600k then the i5 2500k is your only other option. Both will do 5ghz and possibly more if your cooling and CPU are amazing. i7 2600k really excels in multi threaded apps, but if you don't need that then go for the i5 2500k. I wouldn't justify spending the $150 is cooling a $215 CPU though. I'd suggest the NH-D14 as it's silent but cools like crazy or cheaper liquid cooler like the Corsair H60 or Antec Kuhler 620.

thanks.

If you just want the cheapest, highest overclocking CPU then you'll want the Core i5 2500k. It will do a good 5ghz especially if you get a "lucky" CPU that doesn't need that much voltage.

The XSPC RASA kit will definitely keep it freezing. It's the best value water cooling kit, the only problem is that no one really likes the pump on that unit. It should be fine for a CPU loop only.

I would suggest you going the Core i7 2600k route however. They also go to 5ghz easy but pack a lot more CPU power. You could shave off the $150 for the RASA kit and get a good $40-60 CPU air cooler and still get to 5ghz range fairly easy. The Core i7 2600k is almost as good as the Intel Hexacore's and really should play a good role in your modeling farm.

A Motherboard I'd suggest is the ASRock Z68 or p67 Fatality, MSI GD-80's, ASUS Work Station Revolution is really nice. Most boards $150 and up will give you all the features and overclocking you can desire.

If you don't need the highest end i7 2600k then the i5 2500k is your only other option. Both will do 5ghz and possibly more if your cooling and CPU are amazing. i7 2600k really excels in multi threaded apps, but if you don't need that then go for the i5 2500k. I wouldn't justify spending the $150 is cooling a $215 CPU though. I'd suggest the NH-D14 as it's silent but cools like crazy or cheaper liquid cooler like the Corsair H60 or Antec Kuhler 620.

yeah, if the 2600k can get "nearly" as high as the 2500k, then I might just go that route.

I like the XSPC Rasa 360 because I feel it's justifiably more expensive than the 1x120 prefab rads on the market and could provide a more significant overclock margin than it's smaller counterparts... $120 for the Kuhler 920 or $150 for the RASA360 (with interchangeable parts) and nearly 3x the radiatior (I will be running push/pull - probably in the top of a Xigmatek Elysium (huge, I know ;)))... fwiw

so going forward, what stepping 2600k's do I need to be on the hunt for? this:? http://www.tankguys.com/intel-processors/socket-1155/intel-core-i7-2600k.html

thanks for the help lads!

prost! :beer:

...and I will be lapping the waterblock, and even possibly the cpu... woot woot!

Their really isn't a stepping or batch to look for. They don't have anything close to when the Core i7 920 went from C0 to D0. Most will overclock above 4.8ghz and with the RASA kit that should be an easy 5ghz.

Also you shouldn't lap the water block or CPU because that's just useless now a day's, you might get 1-2c better temps but you void the warranty for both parts.

The Core i7 2600k overclocks just as well as the Core i5 2500k but the hyper threading will boost you into hexa core performance.

For a computer case, you should go with a Cooler Master HAF-X which supports 360 rads or Corsair 700-800d. That Xigamatek case looks decent but I think there is much better out their.

Their really isn't a stepping or batch to look for. They don't have anything close to when the Core i7 920 went from C0 to D0. Most will overclock above 4.8ghz and with the RASA kit that should be an easy 5ghz.

Also you shouldn't lap the water block or CPU because that's just useless now a day's, you might get 1-2c better temps but you void the warranty for both parts.

The Core i7 2600k overclocks just as well as the Core i5 2500k but the hyper threading will boost you into hexa core performance.

For a computer case, you should go with a Cooler Master HAF-X which supports 360 rads or Corsair 700-800d. That Xigamatek case looks decent but I think there is much better out their.

ok...

then it's not like the days of old when lapping would DRAMATICALLY reduce temps? interesting - but good :attn:

case: I like the Elysium because it conveniently allows for the huge HTPX form factor (and is the cheapest case to do so)... which though isn't a part of this build (though this build started as an SR-2 project), might be part of my next build... if EVGA develops a successor to the SR-2. My licensed rendering (not modeling) software is $/machine, so the more power I can pack into each system, I actually save $ in the end. The 800D is a super sexy case though, enough to make a man rethink his plans.

Back