• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade now or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KMANL69

Hey everyone new to the forums. I want to upgrade from my E8500 duo core and a EVGA 790I tri sli motherboard to a newer motherboard and CPU . But I heard that the Ivy bridge that can handle 6 and 8 core CPU's at the end of the year so I and not sure If I should wait till then. I look at the sandy bridge sli motherboards and I see most sli are 16X till you run 2 cards then the other is set to 8X . I am not sure I will notices much difference. Most that i do is FPS like COD battlefield etc.:fight:

this is what I have now

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Hard Drive: 3 TB Total

Video Card: x2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Motherboard: EVGA 790i Ultra SLI

Computer Case: ANTEC Nine hundred

Doing the g00gle thing now seems to indicate that Intel is likely to delay IvyBridge in order to let SandyBridge run its' full course in the market. Date being mentioned now is March 2012. With the market overall for anything being in crunch...who knows exactly when X will appear?

The same principle seems to be in play. If you need upgrade today for some reason, then upgrade since the next upgrade that all consider is replaced by the next upgrade thing and to wait until the next brings the idea to wait for next and on and on.

wait and get a gen 3 board and you'll be set for an ivy bridge upgrade next year...thats what id do in your position...

IF I do get a new setup what are your thoughts on
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Z68 vs ASUS Sabertooth P67.
And will my ram hurt the new build ? (SLOW IT DOWN)
Corsair XMS3 Dominator 8 gig 2X4=8 8-8-8-24

Last edited:
You don't specify what memory speed the RAM runs at, I think the sweet spot is DDR3-1600, but it won't make that huge of a difference if it is DDR3-1333. Anything faster than 1600 is gravy, but generally unneeded.

The two motherboards you chose are both fine choices. I suppose I would go with the Z68 now as it is pretty much the standard, but if you get the sabertooth for cheaper than the other than it wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

You should upgrade when you feel that you cant run the game properly. If you are playing and you can feel that you cant play because the fps is too low and you are lagging because of it then upgrade. If the upgrade can wait, then wait to upgrade.

Back