• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Why The Sudden Pop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computergeek

Solved!
No f****** way guys!
Guess what I found? a screw stuck between the power socket just above the PCI-E slot wedged between that and a coil luckily no burn marks nothing all is fine!
And now my idle temps are better 36-37 confirmed by HWMonitor app!:D
How the hell that got there I don't know and no screws are missing freaking weird but all is good.:)
Edit:
Just checked the current volts with the HWMonitor one screw ironically excuse the pun screwed with the 5v rail hence when I set it to 1.5 for the vcore it went pop which was just the screw sparking luckily the screw was wedged between the two the coil and the outer shell of the power socket is plastic so no power went through thank god!:)
The 5v is now running at 4.96v instead of the above shown in the previous image 4.92 volts also the +3.3v min voltage was way too high now it has gone back to the normal 3.28 volts.:)

I was overlclocking my e6850 to 4Ghz and my cooler is more then up for the job.
First application of clocking 444, fsb auto and vcore 1.5 perfect.
I thought that the ram may need some more power so I upped them just below the predefined unstable values of my board.
Saved reboot and pop! but it sounded like a bubble going bang.:(
I turned it off removed the power sniffed for burnt out parts nothing.
Turned it back on did a stress test all is fine, checked the temps and volts all are normal also i did reset the bios before booting again just to be safe.
Games run fine and there is no burning smell anywhere that's just really weird.><
If it was a capacitor blowing my volts would be screwed when checking them with the HWMonitor app and it wouldn't even post never mind boot.:)

My speakers have been going pop but this sounded like a electrical pop like when my old PSU went bang and all the volt readings were screwed but it still worked.XD><
I cracked that one open and four capacitors had blown so how in the hell my old PC was still booting?
God only knows.><
No hot parts in my PC nothing?
I am concerned about the loud pop but all seems fine very weird!
Did I just get lucky?
hmm....

Last edited:
CAps smooth voltage, take AC and make it into DC. In conjunction with rectifiers, inductors, mosfets etc.

So a PSU cap going pop might not crash a PSU, but your ripple volts on one of the voltages might of gone ... ummm... oddd.

More investigation I guess. You got a decent O-scope to look at ripple under load on the rails?

RMA........... Simple way. PSU went POP, fix it.... Or was it a book on the floor from 50' above?

You would be suprised how many caps can go on a board and they still boot. I've seen many old P4 boards still run with over 4-5 burst caps. Most did BSOD like crazy though.

I would do a full strip down and look at everything very closely. Hopefully you have gotten lucky :)

My best bet is the PSU or graphics card or it could been an actual bubble in the thermal paste.
Volt Readings
5mn1hh.jpg
Spec's:
PSU-Antec 380 watt,
Motherboard-MSI P35 NEO2,
2x1GBDDR2 PC2-6400(400Mhz),
2X2GB DDR2 Ballistixs(With status leds)
Freezer 7 pro rev 2,
Intel(R) Core(TM)2DUO E6850,
Nvidia 8800 GTS,
Hardrive(sata)-Samsung HD501LH 500GB,
PC Case-Antec

No f****** way guys!
Guess what I found? a screw stuck between the power socket just above the PCI-E slot wedged between that and a coil luckily no burn marks nothing all is fine!
And now my idle temps are better 36-37 confirmed by HWMonitor app!:D
How the hell that got there I don't know and no screws are missing freaking weird but all is good.:)
Edit:
Just checked the current volts with the HWMonitor one screw ironically excuse the pun screwed with the 5v rail hence when I set it to 1.5 for the vcore it went pop which was just the screw sparking luckily the screw was wedged between the two the coil and the outer shell of the power socket is plastic so no power went through thank god!:)
The 5v is now running at 4.96v instead of the above shown in the previous image 4.92 volts also the +3.3v min voltage was way too high now it has gone back to the normal 3.28 volts.:)

Last edited:
I highly doubt that screw was why you were showing 4.92 vs 4.96. Thats WELL within margin of error, especially since you are monitoring via software.

Well either way I just managed a 4.00ghz overclock to post no problems.
I have found no damage and I am running at 3.60Ghz solid.:)

Well I am stumped now it seems it was my speakers, I just didn't expect them to pop so loud as it happened three times yesterday all sounding exactly the same.
Annoyingly this means I need to get a power regulator as it seems its to do with the fridge weird aye but apparently so and Conumdrum it sounded like a bubble bursting.XD><
So why the heck not but I checked that no bubble and all is fine.
It was definitely the speakers.

Back