• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Admin's, HELP ME PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

labrat

Registered
Hey guys, I REALLY new to watercooling and I need some advice. I have an alienware area51 aurora. Factroy specs = [email protected], 384MGZ Ram, NvidiaGeeforce3 w/ 128 mgz onboard ram. 60 and 40 gig hard drive, 22in NEC monitor, Soundblaster live! 5.1Platinum w/ 14in subwoofer and six speaker surround sound. I managed to get my processor up to 2.5Ghz, BUT I have eighteen fans in my case. Damn thing is so loud I wake up the neighbors. I want to watercool my cpu, gpu and anything else i can. I'm looking for pics of specific designs and specifications of those designs. I want to keep the whole thing inside my Dragon Full Tower case, and I'm looking to spend somewhere below $300. Guys, please help me out with pics and links, cause i am just overwhelmed:( with all this mumbojumbo. please try to keep you speak in something next to laymans as im really clueless:beer: , oh yeah drunk to. thanks guys

Labrat

honestly 18 fans is over kill..

3 or 4 strategically placed would do u fine...

as for watercooling look at the main page, there are many beginner guides... www.overclockers.com

after u have a good general idea, come back with some specifics, we can help u out

yea, 18 fans.... The good side to that is.... IF I turn all the fans so they blow down... I have the one and only LEVITATING computer!!!!:D :eek: :cool: ... well, back on track, what specifications do you need to help me out?

Interesting fact about my computer... When i turn it on.... the lights dim!:confused: ... ok, well not really, but that would be funny as a nudist caught with his clothes on:p

Hey guys, I REALLY new to watercooling and I need some advice. I have an alienware area51 aurora. Factroy specs = [email protected], 384MGZ Ram, NvidiaGeeforce3 w/ 128 mgz onboard ram. 60 and 40 gig hard drive, 22in NEC monitor, Soundblaster live! 5.1Platinum w/ 14in subwoofer and six speaker surround sound. I managed to get my processor up to 2.5Ghz, BUT I have eighteen fans in my case. Damn thing is so loud I wake up the neighbors. I want to watercool my cpu, gpu and anything else i can. I'm looking for pics of specific designs and specifications of those designs. I want to keep the whole thing inside my Dragon Full Tower case, and I'm looking to spend somewhere below $300. Guys, please help me out with pics and links, cause i am just overwhelmed with all this mumbojumbo. please try to keep you speak in something next to laymans as im really clueless , oh yeah drunk to. thanks guys

Labrat

holy mother of god u have 18fans well dam u must have a hell of alot of money having that computer how much did it cost i heard that alienware was juz looks and that ther servise sux is that true i have the old style alienware case i wish i had gotten the new one its hella better any way have fun cooling

labrat said:
yea, 18 fans.... The good side to that is.... IF I turn all the fans so they blow down... I have the one and only LEVITATING computer!!!!:D :eek: :cool: ... well, back on track, what specifications do you need to help me out?

Interesting fact about my computer... When i turn it on.... the lights dim!:confused: ... ok, well not really, but that would be funny as a nudist caught with his clothes on:p

With 18 fans all blowing down, your airflow is still bad regardless of all the fans. You should at least set them for exhaust, intake, blow holes on both the top of your case and the side and such.

You should notice a massive airflow change if you try to keep the airflow in your case with an equal exhaust, and intake.

Intake = Bottom Front or maybe bottom.
Exhaust = Back Top - Or top.

Yodums

d00d, i have them set to intake. i've cut up my case so much it looks like swiss cheese. My airflow is fine, I've just reached the point where I can no longer keep overclocking my system and using fans... all i want is for peopple to post specifications on what is in their opinion the best watercooling setup. My system blows a steady breeze that borders on hurricane force, I'm just sick of the noise and inefficency of fans, so i want to convert to watercooling. Pics are helpful, and i can be contacted at [email protected]. Thanks for your help.

OK, a few things to clarify...

No offence, but you should read a cooling guide. You need an equal of air coming in and out... All your fans are intake so, hot air is still hovering around the case just sitting there, waiting for your CPU fan to be sucking it in, as it hovers around the top of the case some where (Heat rises).

Whatever you do won't matter, its how manage the things in your case.

Split it up like I said, 6 fans can be intake, 6 fans can be exhaust. Since I think you got access to a dremel, make 3 blowholes at the top of the case, and make 2 holes on the case panel at the bottom, then make a hole right above your CPU Fan so its sucking cool air from the outside.

That way there will be no dead spots within your case and every part of the case has cool air running through it, and no hot air laying around.

Yodums

I just finished posting a ton of pics of my system earlier today. I stuck a link to the thread in my sig. Check there.

Mine looks a bit messy, but that's because I have a digitaldoc controlling 5 fans, so there is a lot of wiring there. Also, some silicone tubing would help me immensely because it's more flexible....anyways, I managed to fit a water cooling setup in there. Not on my gpu though. I just replaced that with a nice big copper hsf.

MAN!! I LOVE IT!!
Only one thing I would change. Get rid of the Attwood. They die in 2 weeks.

ahhhhhhhh..,.

wait wait wait, the fan setup i have now is 7intake, 7exhaust, dragon orb three on processor, one on each hard drive and one on graphics card. the airflow in my case is good, all air moves in front and top and out bottom and back. The reason I started this was because I cant overclock my sytem anymore because the temps are getting to high to fast for the fans to deal with, THAT is why I want to go watercooling. Thanks

VashTheStampede said:
18? Pffft, that's nothing. At last count I have like 25 in here :D

4 60mm
2 120mm
16 40mm
2 fans in the orb
1 60mm PSU fan
---------------------
25 fans :D

25!! :eek:

Re: ahhhhhhhh..,.

labrat said:
wait wait wait, the fan setup i have now is 7intake, 7exhaust, dragon orb three on processor, one on each hard drive and one on graphics card. the airflow in my case is good, all air moves in front and top and out bottom and back. The reason I started this was because I cant overclock my sytem anymore because the temps are getting to high to fast for the fans to deal with, THAT is why I want to go watercooling. Thanks

why do u have the intake on the top and front and the outtake on the bottom and side. Make the intake on the bottom and front and the outtake on the top and back. Hot air rises.

d00d's FUK THE AIR, I started the post for tips on watercooling so I could get rid of the damn fans. I know the airflow sux, thats why im going w/ water.... stop busting my airflow and just post tips tricks and pics about watercooling setups that fit in a dragon full tower case

Labrat

You want to switch to water cooling because your fans and heatsinks cant handle the heat, but they might be able to, your setup is flawed. Heat rises, simple as that. intake at bottom area, exhaust at top area.

I might of missed it what are your temps? Ditto on the previous post look around here and read a little it'll help you figure out exactly what you want to do.
Stay Cool
Pepsi

Back