• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for Phenom 2 X 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compn00b101

Registered
Hi guys, was wonder if you guys could suggest a powerful Atx board for me. I don't want crossfire or sli. Something that's fast and a good OC'er. I would like something simple but at the same time have the raw power for a fast pc.

I'm having trouble choosing one cause I've been out the loop as far as fsb and memory speeds go. Its going to be a mobo,pc,memory upgrade. I got my heart set on the pnenom2 x4 3.4ghz. no need for an am3+.

The computer will be used for gaming and surfing only. oh and I guess I need an IDE hook up for my
Sony Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner or should I just get a new dvd player? is IDE going obsolete? I'm getting confused with all the different mobo out there lol

looking to spend around 100$.. maybe a lil more if its worth it

Last edited:
I guess an AMD 870 board would fit your needs best. It should be below 100 dolls. There are 970 boards now - but i don't see any need for such, there is little difference, only higher price.

A yes, you should get a sata DVD player, IDE is obsolete, the sheer cables look old fashioned and spoil the view and the IDE DVD itself raises you CPU temp more than sata DVD.

I guess an AMD 870 board would fit your needs best. It should be below 100 dolls. There are 970 boards now - but i don't see any need for such, there is little difference, only higher price.

Better PCIE bandwidth, chipset SLI support, much broader on-chipset SATA 6 connectivity, support for unlocked Bulldozer CPUs. :thup:

He said a motherboard for AMD Phenom 2 X4 right?

I disagree with your proposal: for the same price i would go for 970 instead of 870, but the price is not the same, and he said clearly that his needs are not that great, so it is stupid to ignore a fine cheap 870 board.

Better PCE-E bandwidth: BS, in practice this is BS, tested CF HD4870 on many different CF boards with different PCI-E bandwidth and there was no difference except for the boards with 16X/4X CF.

SLI support: he said he does not need one.

SATA connectivity: he won't achieve even the max sata2 bandwidth rate, unless he has a 20000 rpm HDD..

Bulldozer CPU: this is a future related topic, too early to talk.

UEFI will blow your mind. Board is at 100$ range and fit's AM3 as well, since you don't need AM3+. No IDE connector but you should jump to a SATA dvd-rom drive because that damn IDE cable is really insanely huge. Also it has room for an aftermarket cpu cooler (you might use one even tho you don't mention since you plan to OC).
Did I mention that UEFI will blow your mind???
USB3 may become essential in the near future as well + wider variety of RAM speeds supported "officially" as long as you plan to upgrade your RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

Back