• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Set QoS For Games/Xbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr1nge

I was wondering what I need to do to set QoS for PC Games and Xbox Games. In my router options I see the option that says QoS. Do I need to specify a starting and ending port number, or do I just add the "QoS Policy For" Xbox/or w/e game I am playing and then set priority to highest.

PC Example: Bad Company 2 or Bulletstorm

QoS Policy For: Bad Company 2
QoS Priority: Highest
Starting Port: N/A
Ending Port: N/A

Xbox Example: Gears of War 2

QoS Policy For: Gears of War 2 or Xbox?
QoS Priority: Highest
Starting Port: N/A
Ending Port: N/A

It depends on the router. For example, Smoothwall just has an option for "Games" while Astaro goes based on the port(s). Enable it and see what it gives you for options.

If you aren't maxing out your connection, this won't do much, though.

It depends on the router. For example, Smoothwall just has an option for "Games" while Astaro goes based on the port(s). Enable it and see what it gives you for options.

If you aren't maxing out your connection, this won't do much, though.

What do you mean maxing out your connection? I enable QoS and it brings me to a screen that says set your QoS and Write a Policy. The first post I showed is what the options are.

Sorry, it was late and I missed that. Yours is asking for a port range. If the games use a specific port, you can specify that and set the priority.

QoS, in home environments, isn't going to help much unless you are using all your upload, download or number of connections. If your internet connection is sitting completely idle, it doesn't matter what priority you have your games set to, the router will process it as soon as it gets the packets, because you have the available resources. The same thing happens with a partially saturated connection. For example, say someone was browsing the internet when you were playing. The router still routes packets the instant it receives them, because it has the available bandwidth.

The time QoS is extremely valuable is if you are downloading or uploading at your full connection speed or if you have many connections open (torrenting). If you were to game during this scenario, the packet might have a delay while resources become available, sometimes up to multiple seconds. What QoS does is identify the packet as soon as it is sent and routes it based on your priority list. So, if you had torrents on low, for example, but it was using all your connections, you wouldn't see an interruption while gaming since it is higher priority.

So, unless you are downloading/uploading at your max connection speed or you are heavily torrenting (thousands of connections), QoS isn't worth it. You won't notice the difference.

Sorry, it was late and I missed that. Yours is asking for a port range. If the games use a specific port, you can specify that and set the priority.

QoS, in home environments, isn't going to help much unless you are using all your upload, download or number of connections. If your internet connection is sitting completely idle, it doesn't matter what priority you have your games set to, the router will process it as soon as it gets the packets, because you have the available resources. The same thing happens with a partially saturated connection. For example, say someone was browsing the internet when you were playing. The router still routes packets the instant it receives them, because it has the available bandwidth.

The time QoS is extremely valuable is if you are downloading or uploading at your full connection speed or if you have many connections open (torrenting). If you were to game during this scenario, the packet might have a delay while resources become available, sometimes up to multiple seconds. What QoS does is identify the packet as soon as it is sent and routes it based on your priority list. So, if you had torrents on low, for example, but it was using all your connections, you wouldn't see an interruption while gaming since it is higher priority.

So, unless you are downloading/uploading at your max connection speed or you are heavily torrenting (thousands of connections), QoS isn't worth it. You won't notice the difference.

I figured it out already, but thanks. I forwarded my Xbox ports.. I set my Xbox IP to 192.168.1.59 (Static IP) and I forwarded these ports. 80, 88, 3074, and 53 I just picked a random IP for my Xbox. IDK if I should have done that.

You forwarded the ports or you used QoS? I don't see a reason why you would need to forward them.

You forwarded the ports or you used QoS? I don't see a reason why you would need to forward them.

I used Port Forwarding. I was reading videos and people said I needed to do this. I also have UPnP enabled? that NAT Open right?

You aren't going to need port forwarding unless a server/client needs to connect directly to your XBox. If you aren't sure you need this, disable it.

UPnP is internal, leave it enabled. I have no idea what your last question means.

You aren't going to need port forwarding unless a server/client needs to connect directly to your XBox. If you aren't sure you need this, disable it.

UPnP is internal, leave it enabled. I have no idea what your last question means.

What I meant was that UPnP opens NAT right?. So should I just set QoS on all my stuff then? Like Xbox, Steam, and all my games. Btw what ports are for steam. And why are all these people making these portforwarding videos for Xbox then, if its not the right way to do it.

I don't use UPnP, but here is the exact definition:
The concept of UPnP is an extension of plug-and-play, a technology for dynamically attaching devices directly to a computer, although UPnP is not directly related to the earlier plug-and-play technology. UPnP devices are "plug-and-play" in that when connected to a network they automatically establish working configurations with other devices.

NAT is something completely different.

-----

As I said, leave QoS off unless you are maxing out your connection. I've said this multiple times now. :-/

There may be some games that require that ports are forwarded, but that will depend on the game, not the console (XBox, PC, Steam). There are no "Steam ports" or "XBox ports" that you need to forward for it to work. If you are logging into XBox live, you shouldn't need to do anything else unless a specific game requires it.

I don't use UPnP, but here is the exact definition:

NAT is something completely different.

-----

As I said, leave QoS off unless you are maxing out your connection. I've said this multiple times now. :-/

There may be some games that require that ports are forwarded, but that will depend on the game, not the console (XBox, PC, Steam). There are no "Steam ports" or "XBox ports" that you need to forward for it to work. If you are logging into XBox live, you shouldn't need to do anything else unless a specific game requires it.

I was just trying to get the best out of my connection so I can always pull host in Gears of War 2 and such :) I mean if there is anything I can do to my connection to make it better I'll do so..

if my IPv4 is 192.168.1.x then what should I set my Xbox IP to?

If you aren't doing port forwarding, it doesn't matter what you set the IP to, as long as it can connect to the internet.

If you aren't doing port forwarding, it doesn't matter what you set the IP to, as long as it can connect to the internet.

How does that work? and why are these people doing port forwarding videos saying it will help your xbox connection?

Ok, we are going in circles now. As long as you can connect to XBox Live and can play the games you want, there is nothing you need to setup. If you are having issues with connecting to XBox Live or specific games, you will need to see if they require port forwarding. You aren't going to get any more performance by forwarding ports you don't need.

Ok, we are going in circles now. As long as you can connect to XBox Live and can play the games you want, there is nothing you need to setup. If you are having issues with connecting to XBox Live or specific games, you will need to see if they require port forwarding. You aren't going to get any more performance by forwarding ports you don't need.

I don't understand why people make these vids then?

If someone can't connect to XBox Live, they might be useful. I've never had to do any port forwarding to play any game, be it console or computer.

But, as I've said, if you can connect and play games fine, don't make changes.

If someone can't connect to XBox Live, they might be useful. I've never had to do any port forwarding to play any game, be it console or computer.

But, as I've said, if you can connect and play games fine, don't make changes.

Do you think I need a new router? I have a NETGEAR WGR614v10, I use CAT 6 Cables and I have a standard Modem that came with my connection.

Instead of asking me (which is a very very bad idea, by the way), you should ask yourself if your router does everything you need it to. Good questions are:

Does it have the ports I need now and will it in the future?
Does it have all the features I need now and will want in the future?
Is it fast enough for what I do on a day-to-day basis and will it in the future?

It pains me to say this, but if it works, don't upgrade.

Instead of asking me (which is a very very bad idea, by the way), you should ask yourself if your router does everything you need it to. Good questions are:

Does it have the ports I need now and will it in the future?
Does it have all the features I need now and will want in the future?
Is it fast enough for what I do on a day-to-day basis and will it in the future?

It pains me to say this, but if it works, don't upgrade.

It works but it just feels generic.. It's a 54Mbps Router. I have a 10MB DL and a 5MB UL

Wouldn't this be better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

54Mbps is the wireless speed, the wired ports are 100Mbps.

While the WRT54GL is a very good router, it is outdated. You can get a better router for less money, and an even better one for the same money. However, none of them will likely make any difference in gaming unless your current router is bad/faulty.

Are you having some kind of issues when gaming or are you just trying to make sure you are getting the max out of your network? Why are you trying to do all this?

As for port forwarding and upnp. upnp is automatic port forwarding. If it is off you will need to forward them manually. Games don't require forwarded ports for you to play. However, some PC games (not sure about xbox) may need ports forwarded for your system to be the host. In games were a player is the host, being the host gives you the lowest latency.

QoS is really only needed if you have something else using a ton of bandwidth like thideras said. I had QoS set up for gaming and the only time it mattered was when I was maxing out my upload speed on a torrent while playing a game. Just pausing the torrent is easier than setting up QoS though lol

Back