• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Overclockers Method - Get rid of ground wasps with kerosene

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
1. Locate their nest.
Cleaning up my backyard then getting stung multiple times worked in my personal experience. It is also great inspiration for your killer instinct.

2. Perform recon, know your enemy.
Observe their behavior while they are active from a safe location, paying special attention to where they are entering and exiting the ground. Lobbing something about the weight of a baseball towards where you expect the entrance to be is a good indicator - if it hits within a foot of the entrance, a swarming cloud will rush out of the hole. Watch for secondary entrances/exits.

3. Prepare your gear.
You'll want a wet towel, and a container of kerosene at minimum. They can sting through wool and cotton, but heavy clothing is advisable if you don't have a rubber suit.

4. Timing is everything. Attack after dusk or before dawn.
They return to their nest at dark, they are less easily agitated, and they aren't as good at detecting you as a threat in the dark.

5. Kill.
Pour kerosene generously into the entrance of their nest. Once you are done pouring, cover the hole with the wet towel. The towel should help trap the vapors ensuring they die, as well as limit their ability to escape.

6. Survey the damage the next day.
This is when you really want to hope you poured generously enough. To determine if the battle is over, you will need to remove the towel.

Hope it works for you, I'll find out how effective it was for me tomorrow and report back. The hardest part was resisting the temptation to light the kerosene on fire honestly... If they aren't dead, I'm going with the fire approach and will take video for you all tomorrow.

Public Service Announcement: Don't use kerosene on bees. Contact a professional or seek assistance locally thru craigslist. There may be bee-keepers in your area who will collect the bees without killing them.

igniting the fuel tends to make this type of assault less effective. Hope it works out for you. Ive used diesel to kill pests/weeds here in NM many times its pretty effective.

Felt really weird pouring fuel into the ground. The wrong sort of guilty feeling like pouring motor oil in your yard. :)

Removed the towel this morning, and stomped around by the hole... No signs of life yet!

I only had a minute this morning to check though, and I didn't really want to start my day off by getting stung so I will check more thoroughly again later. I put a dog run up back there the other day, so I want to be 100% certain they are gone - my dog got stung by them a few weeks ago and I never found the nest until now. He won't go within 5 feet of that location now, so I don't want him to get stung again.

I used the flame thrower method before....can of lysol + candle lighter = flame thrower...certainly not safe, but cooks well.

Here I thought it would be 2F or 3F GOEX blackpowder.:eek:

And..............A fuse !:shock:
Be the same as,"Hold my beer. Watch this...." :D

Yep,we have wasps also. They're either paper or mud daubers.
In this case,"Black Flag Wasp Spray". Shoots a 12 foot stretch of the stuff.
Kills those critters right now. Have to keep 2 or 3 cans of it.
WD-40 does almost the same.
Thanks for the tip on ground wasps.:thup:

Or how about a .700 Nitro Express?

:shrug:

kanon-2.jpg1.980747.jpg

WOAH !! :shock:
That rifle must weigh about 26 lbs.
My original 1884 Trapdoor is about 9 lbs.
Handirifle-6lbs.
Or,my friends 50 cal.Forgot who made it.Wasn't Barrett.
AAHH! Would like to see that cartridge for real.
Reloads ? Probably would break the bank.:eek:
Thank you.:thup:
You have a good week/weekend.

No, this works better:

Semtex_H_1.jpg

Shape it round so it fits the hole, jam it in. You can put some kerosene on it for a "shock and awe" display if desired. :rofl:

Great for rat holes too.

RollingThunder,I would think so!
If I remember right,Semtex is faster than C-4 ?
An active Ranger and I was having fun at his Uncle's property.Uncle was my co-worker.
A good close friend. Passed some years ago.
Had arty simulators,and mortar charges.Yep,sure enjoyed our....uh...fun.
No one got hurt.Just one enjoyable day.
You have a good weekend.

You didn't pour 30 liters of Ln2 in the hole? That would of been so cool.

there so small that there is a chance all the ln2 would do is freeze them in stasis. They don't have enough mass to cause the ln2 to make them crack or anything like larger organic objects. So you might just end up with pissed off once frozen wasps. If you can get it so it doesn't flash freeze them then it would probably kill em.

Back