• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My latest PSU story, hard lesson learned.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

Recently I sold my Seasonic X-750 because I had an <unnamed> 80+ Silver 550W PSU from my second computer that I parted out. The <unnamed> PSU worked however the fan would never come on because the second computer didn't draw enough power, so I cut and insulated the cables to the old PWM fan and replaced it with a decent 1350RPM 120mm and ran the cable out of the PSU (warranty voided here). I also sold my XFX 5870 at the same time simply because the gaming/resolution didn't require it (found out about Bitcoin after :rain:), it was replaced with a 4650 512MB I had around. Well then the 4650 wasn't cutting it so I picked up a GTX460 for a decent price and the fun begins.

I test the 460 to see how far it will go and it seems to have coil whine like crazy when pushed (even at stock it did a bit when under load) but after reading around this is normal. A week or so goes by and out of the blue the computer just restarts while gaming, no BSOD, no nothing. So I search around and it seems it's either a PSU or motherboard issue. I switch the 460 to another 16X slot on my mobo to no avail, the restarts are completely random sometimes it will run for hours, even days without it happening and sometimes it will happen within seconds of logon and without any real load, if I did put an artificial "heavier than normal" load on it (Heaven ~300W), it would restart just after loading it. I open the PSU and check around, no blown caps that I can see, check mobo, same thing, no smell of "burnt" from either, I also put back to the original PWM fan and reconnected it. I thought well the mobo is under warranty and so is the 460 so if I buy a PSU and that isn't it then it's an RMA. So I bought a Seasonic X-560 (talk about going in circles). Long behold it's been running like a champ, the coil whine is gone (must of been the old PSU). Hard lesson learned, thought I would share :bang head, at least the bad PSU didn't take anything else out with it.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I've also learned this lesson, but it was smoke that pointed it out to me.

The x750 is working beautifully. Thank you for your sacrifice.:D

Back