• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Triple Boot - Lion/7/Ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevincuth08

Okay so i'm going to be buying a new computer later this year (all parts from Newegg) and I was just wondering if it was possible to put the 3 operating systems together, it would look something like this:

New SSD for Windows 7 (already know it will work with it and no problems there or questions)
I have 2 HDD from my old HP and would like to put Lion on one and Ubuntu (which I did when the HP worked) on the other
So would it be possible to do this? The 2 HDD's are 320GB 3.0Gb/s and are Hitachi brand, thats about all I know since I don't have a computer to run them on to learn more. My main problem here is I don't know if lion will work or how to put Lion (New Mac OS) on a HDD and if it will even work in the first place

My new computer will be:

Intel i5 2500k
P8Z68-v Pro
8Gb 1600 Corsair
Not sure on GPU yet, most likely 560 TI - 580 or 6950
1 128GB 6.0Gb/s SDD
1 2TB 6.0Gb/s HDD
2 320GB 3.0Gb/s HDD
And a HAF 932 Advanced if your interested
With Windows 7 Professional
And Lion 10.7 (Do I need Snow Leopard first?)
And Ubuntu

Advice, tips, and help would be very appreciated!!! :D

wel you can certain dual boot 7 and ubuntu. But we cant really discuss anything to do with booting Apple products on a non-apple machine. It violates their EULA and all that legalees

strictly speaking none of the apple OS's will "work" on non-sanctioned hard ware. There are possible driver issues, EFI/Bios issues (Macs do not have the same sort of hardware control that normal computers have... they have a special "Bios")

technically yes, many have done it but like above we cannot discuss it here

But Linux and Windows in an 100% yes, But once you add Mac to that there really is nothing but headache... and unless you have a reason or are a smart person and dont buy Apple's Crappy hardware (not starting PCvMAC or anything) its just not worth it IMO. YMMV tho...

Good Luck with your endeavor though!

Hmm okay, thanks guys, I guess I kind of thought it would be like that, too bad :(

im not going to say how to install osx though i have done it and its alot of work but for it to work i would suggest installing windows 7, then osx and then linux as it should pick up the first 2 and setup the bootloader as such

problem with installing any version of OSX in virtualbox is the efi emulation. I have yet to get it working as I've tried building an OSX vm.

So I use Linux on occasion on my computer. Great OS. As is Mac. But why all 3? I mean like, sure I'd do it just to look awesome and say I did it. But what do you plan to do with all 3?

I'm thinking Windows, then Linux, then OS X. The bootloaders / EFI emulation programs available should be able to boot your Lion install and also point you to your Windows and Linux installs, where as your standard Linux or Windows bootloader won't know how to handle the OS X boot. Really though, I'm not going to say it quite like the people above, but if you want to learn how to do that you'd have better luck on a hackintosh forum. People with more experience (potentially) and they won't be afraid to tell you how it's done. There's probably guides out already! Google is your friend.

Back