• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows hiccups after inst dx8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I recently bought a new (to me) game "clyde barkers Undying" and it said I needed dx8 to run the game..so I installed it, and right after I get what can best be described as hiccups....momentary freezes in games like UT.
Until DX8.1, UT ran without anything going wrong, now the game will totaly stop for about 3 to 30seconds....and Need for speed H.S. completely locked up the machine...with the sound repeating, and had to hit the reset sw. I have a few things running in the background, but they never posed a prob b4 I installed directX 8.1 I had DX7 b4, and I understand that I cannot uninstall DX8.1, so I am thinking of using a backup, but the backup is months old, and you know how that is..I will loose programs, patches,downloads and the like.
I can write down the list of proggies running in the task man if it would help anybody suggest a fix or cure.
Thanks in advance,
Rod

DirectX 8.1 will overwrite many v7 dlls. The only thing I can think of doing is fool windows into thinking that it has v8 or earlier and reinstall 8.1

Back