• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If video card fan spins, but theres no video output, its the mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealAlex

Computer starts up, makes the same sounds as usual but theres no video output. Screen stays black. The video card fan spins up as usual. The motherboard is a Gigabyte and I've had some problems with it. Is it most likely that the mobo is dead or the video card? Anyway to test this (I dont have another video card or pc to test the video card)

Only way to test it is by getting another video card. You should be able to get some old thing extremely cheap though, say $20 or less.

also if you were overclocking, or just adjusting bios items, and now you lost the link to the video so it is just not running.
you can GUESS , where the defaults are for the bios :) or you can resort to the cmos jumper.
after all if you cant do nothing, resetting the bios to defaults cant be worse.

there is a low possibility with those symptoms that it could be other things , just not getting a good post. like say a minor memory problem.

if it is just going off without picture, and still Booting into an OS, it is always helpfull to have more clues for that.
does the hard drive seems like it is still reading stuff.
did the Keyboard lights flash (if you have any)
does the keyboard (if it is set) go into Num lock
did the light on the mouse light up
and my favorite that some people Hate, is the Stupid OS startup SOUNDS. the start windows sound. I always have those on, so if i ever cant see a video, i can still tell if it got to a full boot. And if i got in, then when i shut it down, i also make sure i dont slam it off and corrupt a registry and add to the problems. soooo i got a end sound too.

and dont forget the really lame things to, like making sure you check the video cables are plugged in correct and any multimonitor is on the correct source input.
when having troubles, and finnaly getting it going, we can sometimes forget the most simple things :)

Last edited:
It could be the video card, power supply, motherboard, RAM or CPU. Did you reset the CMOS? If this is an older board, look for bulging/leaking capacitors on the motherboard. I'd also try another power supply.

I reset the CMOS by putting a screwdriver to it and the PC booted up, I chose default options and it booted into Windows. Thanks guys you rock!

Now what can I run to test whether or not my video card is stable?

Furmark is a very stressful program for a video card. If you use it, keep a very close watch on temperatures.

Well I ran Furmark and didnt see any artifacts or anything, even when the card reached 90C. (I had the fan running at 90%, the 8800 gt's get kinda hot).

So I guess it must be the motherboard crapping out.

Back