• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer Aspire 5552-3691 broken keyboard help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

So, I have a friend with a new-ish Acer Aspire 5552-3691 laptop. They wanted to clean the laptop. They proceed to attempt to do so by breaking a key off the keyboard.

After trying to put the key back on the keyboard and failing, I tried for a while and I couldn't get it on either. It seems like the hinge is damaged somewhat (the center of one of the pieces) and the key somewhat more (the top hinges, by the silver metal piece). These are denoted in the attachments starting with orig. They seem to be the bottom 3 images below...

The laptop has 4 hooks, 3 of which were bent down. I corrected that, now the hooks are bent back up again. This is denoted in the attachments starting with lap. These seem to be the 2nd and 3rd images below.

So, I assumed that the key is broke and I said that the person should buy a new key. They did, at the following site. They bought an AC35 key.

http://www.laptopkey.com/KeyboardKeys.php/Acer/Aspire/5552

The key arrived, seems lovely and all... and backwards from what I need. It seems to need wide spacing between the hooks at the bottom and narrower spacing between the hooks at the top which is opposite of what is on the keyboard. Naturally, I couldn't put this key on the keyboard. This is denoted in the attachments starting with bad. This seems to be the top image. Compare this intact replacement key with the other not so intact key and note that the hinges on the key itself are wrong (they are flipped).

I have no clue how to proceed. I don't want to replace the whole keyboard on this laptop to fix one key but I have no clue how to order a replacement key for this keyboard because I simply cannot find one. I don't want this person to be without their Caps Lock key.

Any ideas or hints on where I can find a key for this keyboard?

Attachments

• bad-01.jpg
    bad-01.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 483
  • lap-01.jpg
    lap-01.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 464
  • lap-02.jpg
    lap-02.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 570
  • orig-01.jpg
    orig-01.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 431
  • orig-02.jpg
    orig-02.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 442
  • orig-03.jpg
    orig-03.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 426
have you thought about just replacing the whole keyboard? It might be easier..i know u said u didnt want too..but it be easier.

have u trolled ebay?

Back