• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 750 OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eluminx

Quick setup:

i5 750
asus p7p55d pro
pny gtx 460
muskin blackline 1600 2gb x2
xfx black edition 750w psu
CM hyper 212+
HAF 932 advanced

Im pretty new to OCing and I wanted to get some good numbers out of this. I read a few articles about just increasing the bus speed to 200 from 133 and the DRAM to 1600 which I realized was not going to work since I have 1333 ram. Anyhow it didnt come out well at all so I really am looking for #1 general advice on specifics on this mobo/cpu/ram combo and as well as a more simplified explanation of the specifics of OCing in general. Ive read a lot of articles but they are SO in depth and visually draining. I have a pretty good knowledge of computers in general I just cant read that long of an article. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes I did read through that its just so long and not very "Im new to BIOS" friendly. I did figure out quite a bit last night as far as what the IOH and VTT actually were on my BIOS but its still just a lot to take in. I didnt even find that I had a ram multiplier but I did find my CPU multiplier. I also was wondering and maybe it matters between brands but I was going to flash my BIOS so I have the newest menus but theres about 8 updates on ASUS site for my mobo so do I do them all in chronological or just the latest?

Yes I did read through that its just so long and not very "Im new to BIOS" friendly. I did figure out quite a bit last night as far as what the IOH and VTT actually were on my BIOS but its still just a lot to take in. I didnt even find that I had a ram multiplier but I did find my CPU multiplier. I also was wondering and maybe it matters between brands but I was going to flash my BIOS so I have the newest menus but theres about 8 updates on ASUS site for my mobo so do I do them all in chronological or just the latest?

Just the latest.

Also, your memory multiplier may be a ratio..like 8:10 or 3:4

If you have any specific questions about the guide, please ask!

If you understand the basics (vcore, vtt, bclk, multi, and ram divider) jump ahead to the overclocking part. (slowly increasing each by themselves to find your limits, then together)

Ok then I will I dont get what he means to do in the Isolate the bclock from the CPU step...the first step that is. Does he just want me to lower the multiplier and up the bclk to 200 and see how high of a multi I can get? Same with the Isolate the bclock from the memory.

Ok then I will I dont get what he means to do in the Isolate the bclock from the CPU step...the first step that is. Does he just want me to lower the multiplier and up the bclk to 200 and see how high of a multi I can get? Same with the Isolate the bclock from the memory.

Yep, exactly. When you set the multi that low, and the bclk high, and the OC fails, you know it was because of the bclk, and not the memory or cpu speed. Same with the other 2 numbers. Once you find the max, you can work on stabilizing.

Ok Im getting the hang of it but for the LIFE of me i cant find the ram multi ANYWHERE in my bios. I checked in RAM timings even but its obviously not there. Can u point me in the right direction? I have RAM set on 1332 right now cause I cant find the multi. Is 1332 ok as long as its under 1333?

Secondly as u said cant I just start the bclk at 166 or 190 and up the multi instead? Or do I need to find the highest safe bclk?

And lastly is it normal that with my cooler even on stock volts and bclk im at about 40c? I upped the volts to what that guide said .2 offset and 1.3 on the IOH and then set the bclk to 166 and the multi to 18 and im running the small FFTs and getting an average of 80c is that normal?

I think i have the same heatsink as u...btw

Last edited:
80c is still safe, but kind of high for 166x18..what do you have your Vcore set to?

Did a quick google search, and under "testing" you should have these options

Testing:

Ai Overclock Tuner .................. [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting .................... [20]
Intel SpeedStep Tech .............. [Disabled]
Intel TurboMode Tech .............. [Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode ... [Auto]
BCLK Frequency ...................... [200]
PCIe Frequency ....................... [100]
DRAM Frequency ..................... [xxxxMhz] <---here is your RAM divider
QPI Frequency ........................ [Auto]

The vcore I will assume is = to VTT or the cpu voltage but as per the guide i set it to offset +0.2 and the IOH or in my case the IMC to 1.3 thats the only volts I changed. Should I maybe try and reset the sink? Those last temps were JUST from setting the OC profile to XMP which is a ram OC and then I just randomly set the bclk to 166x18.

The options for the DRAM freq are 3 options that are in ratio of the bclk so at like a 200 bclk i have (for example, not exactly) 1333 1600 2000 theres no ratio 2:10 or number divider so i guess i just have to work around that.

And on a side note thanks for taking ur time to answer questions. I know it can never end sometimes and be annoying lol so I appreciate it.

The vcore I will assume is = to VTT or the cpu voltage but as per the guide i set it to offset +0.2 and the IOH or in my case the IMC to 1.3 thats the only volts I changed. Should I maybe try and reset the sink? Those last temps were JUST from setting the OC profile to XMP which is a ram OC and then I just randomly set the bclk to 166x18.

The options for the DRAM freq are 3 options that are in ratio of the bclk so at like a 200 bclk i have (for example, not exactly) 1333 1600 2000 theres no ratio 2:10 or number divider so i guess i just have to work around that.

And on a side note thanks for taking ur time to answer questions. I know it can never end sometimes and be annoying lol so I appreciate it.

Different motherboards call the same setting different things. Your "DRAM Freq" is the same as the memory ratio ....just with different selections. Whenever you set your Bclk, just set the Dram Freq to the closest number to 1333>mhz (not over 1333mhz).

Also, your VTT is different from your Vcore/CPU voltage. You probably have the CPU voltage set to auto, with a +.2 offset. Your motherboard is probably giving it too much voltage, thats why you are so hot. Try manually setting the vcore/cpu voltage to 1.296 (or as close as you can get it, not going higher), and your VTT to 1.24. 166x20, and your memory to 1328mhz.

Well I think one of my other problems is my case is from my last build prior to this one and it doesnt have cable management nor that good of air flow (although this is an assumption), its this case http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/tsunami.html so i think i will upgrade my case before i even get to OCing. What case would u recommend? Im assuming ur partial to the case in ur sig....

Is this case SO big that it will hinder air flow or would the openness help flow? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Side note i set BIOS how u said minus the fact that i kept the XMP profile on which OCs the ram timings and such so its set at 1600 and i put a x21 multi on so its around 3.74 and my idle speeds are around 40ish give or take 5, well mostly take so thats good. Im gonna prime it now and see how it comes up....

Getting about 70 average on blend testing...I wish i could go higher on the bclk but i feel like this case is really the issue behind the temps since this cooler is suppose to be amazing so maybe ill hold at this for now and when i get a case ill try for more. Id love to hit 4+ stable for absolutely no reason but bragging

Last edited:
so i definitely got the HAF 932 advanced and im idling at 28-30 and prime95 100% load at 51 max so im definitely happy

Having a terrible time hitting 4.0 on i5 750

Setup:

asus p7p55d pro
i5 750 (as stated before)
mushkin blackline 1600 4x2 dual
xfx gtx 460
xfx black edition 750w psu
HAF 932 advanced case

I just cannot get to 4.0...I tried 191x21 with core at 1.35 vtt 1.225 and pll 1.8 with c-state speedstep and ce1 off with dram freq at 1800 and blue screened

Currently prime95'ing 3.8 @ 180x21 with core at 1.35 vtt at 1.24 (i think) and dram at 1800 rest on auto minus the c-state speedstep and ce1 off...getting 70c roughly on 100% load 10 min so far stable...

So any suggestions on hitting that 4.0 mark? Should I go vcore to 1.4? How should I set the vtt and/or should I work with the pll? Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:
200x20
vCore: 1.35v and enable LLC
VTT: 1.3v (maybe 1.35v because of 4 DIMM slots occupied, but try 1.3v first)
PLL: leave auto until you stabilize
Manually set your ram voltage to rated spec
Set your ram speed to 1600mhz (8 divider w/ 200mhz bclock)

Sorrya bout that Janus Im just really impatient which I know is annoying.

200x20
vCore: 1.35v and enable LLC
VTT: 1.3v (maybe 1.35v because of 4 DIMM slots occupied, but try 1.3v first)
PLL: leave auto until you stabilize
Manually set your ram voltage to rated spec
Set your ram speed to 1600mhz (8 divider w/ 200mhz bclock)

Its actaully not 4 DIMM occupied as its 2gbx2 dual kit ram

I did this exactly and BSOD'ed on me so I upped the vcore to 1.38 and Im at least not BSOD yet, gonna prime it now ill let u know...should I not go over mhz on my ram? Its 1600 ram but if i set it at 1600 thats not an OC and id like to OC it...

Meh prime failed nearly immediately...suggestions?

Last edited:
Sorrya bout that Janus Im just really impatient which I know is annoying.

I did this exactly and BSOD'ed on me so I upped the vcore to 1.38 and Im at least not BSOD yet, gonna prime it now ill let u know...should I not go over mhz on my ram? Its 1600 ram but if i set it at 1600 thats not an OC and id like to OC it...

Meh prime failed nearly immediately...suggestions?

eluminx,

Merged this thread with one of your others on the same subject. Please don't create another thread on the same subject. And be patient please!

RT

Sorry, in the OP I read, it said 4x2 kit of RAM. Seems things changed after the merged threads (along with the replies, woah!).

Id still set your VTT to about 1.275v. Feed the chip some voltage. Not all chips are created equal and I remember alot of people w/ i5-750's running upper 1.3xx range, all the way to low 1.4xx range for 4ghz.

You should make sure your ram is running 1600mhz or below. Hell, I usually lower my ram speed just to find a stable overclock and it will all but eliminate the ram speeds possibity for making the OC unstable.

Back