• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have ECC RAM - Must I ONLY use this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

listerdl

Registered
Hi - my machine has 4 GIG ECC RAM.

If I wanted to upgrade the RAM, can I choose any type of RAM or must I stick to the ECC format?

Said another way, the fact that I have ECC RAM (which the machine shipped with) then does that mean the MoBo can only support ECC?

Thanks!

Please post your motherboard make, model and version; most folks just put their machine specifications in their signature.

Yes your right - I added them now! Anyways if anyone is reading this and knows more about ECC RAM can you let me know please?

i.e. if my machine came with ECC RAM - does that mean that my machine, motherboard etc, is designed to ONLY support ECC?

Thanks

Thanks

My machine is a HPZ600 -

Im not too sure how else to check if I can "only" use ECC or if I can simply just add any DDR3 RAM.

I know the z600s are "Workstation Class." This is probably a good clue.
The other clue is HP wouldn't have put ECC in if they didn't need to. They would build as cheap as possible. Last clue is Dual Xeons.

So I can't say for certain, but its a strong hunch that you should stick with ECC memory.

I know the z600s are "Workstation Class." This is probably a good clue.
The other clue is HP wouldn't have put ECC in if they didn't need to. They would build as cheap as possible. Last clue is Dual Xeons.

So I can't say for certain, but its a strong hunch that you should stick with ECC memory.

Yup you are probably very right - I think I should stick with ECC memory. I had a look and there does seem to be 16 GIG ECC RAM but it does seem expensive - is that your understanding that ECC RAM is more expensive?

Thanks

ECC is typically more expensive, yes.

Maybe you need to reevaluate your need. If you don't mind the prying, why do you feel you need so much RAM?

Not at all - please do pry! Better that way!

One of the main reasons we bought this HPZ600 is b/c the mobo and machine (factory settings) work for a particular capture card called Blackmagic Intensity Pro - which accepts HDMI live streaming.

We need this machine to stream live media online - live - via ustream. We have done a lot of testing and it seems that we might need more RAM? We only have 4 GIG - might not be enough.....

Also - off topic - but it seems that our greatest limiting factor is broadband for us the publisher and the customer/ viewer.

You reckon that ECC 4 GIG is enough for our needs? Thanks

I would imagine so, but I'm no expert in HD digital streams. I've actually edited HD 720p on the same amount of ram, and I can't imagine it would take more than that.

Professional editing rigs are stuffed with RAM though...

You can check you usage with the task manager while you are streaming.

You are correct that the uplink to your ISP is probably your biggest bottleneck. What is your uplink speed?

I would imagine so, but I'm no expert in HD digital streams. I've actually edited HD 720p on the same amount of ram, and I can't imagine it would take more than that.

Professional editing rigs are stuffed with RAM though...

You can check you usage with the task manager while you are streaming.

You are correct that the uplink to your ISP is probably your biggest bottleneck. What is your uplink speed?

Uplink speed is an abysmal 16mbps - we need more than that I figure...

I am speaking to my provider to get more - or - we might have to upgrade to a business package -

- also what is the best tool or app do you think that I can use to monitor the RAM usage? thanks

You can just check it out in windows task manager while streaming. (CTRL + ALT + DEL then press task manager)

It should be under the performance tab. You can check out each individual process on the process tab.

I'm thinking 16mbps should be enough... What resolution are you trying to transmit?

Good question about the resolution - not sure is the answer right now! We are learning rapidly and have only now, touch wood, got all the bits to work. I guess the answer is 16:9 - we are working for as close to HD as we can get - again, limiting factor is the broadband I guess

z600 <---- Click There

ECC is typically for servers. Why? Because they usually run 24/7 and Usually non-ECC ram fails every 4-5 months of 24/7 usage meaning your system will freeze, blue screen or whatever. With ECC you avoid this problem.

Last edited:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13277_div/13277_div.HTML

ECC is typically for servers. Why? Because they usually run 24/7 and Usually non-ECC ram fails every 4-5 months of 24/7 usage meaning your system will freeze, blue screen or whatever. With ECC you avoid this problem.

Not all server boards require ECC; IMHO, it's not a necessity in all cases. We've have about 12 of these boards in the field today with regular DDR. They're used for small office file and application servers and they've been running 24/7 for far longer than 4-5 months with no issues whatsoever.

For servers with critical numeric data requirements or with massive I/O and heavy loads, I'd definitely pay for ECC; for light usage (<100 users), and typical file server/application server roles, regular DDR RAM is adequate.

Back